Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just started a new job. ..and I HATE the buggy!

(32 Posts)

Yes yes, picky I know!

But I hate it! The handle is to narrow (baby jogger city mini so a half moon handlebar) and after an hour today, my shoulders were aching...I ended up pushing it one handed and walking alongside it...and I keep kicking the wheels...and my charge is 5m old so a long tine in it yet

I cant exactly demand they buy a new buggy so what do I do!

MildDrPepperAddiction Tue 19-Aug-14 12:48:39

Get used to it? Not very helpful. Sorry.

FlorenceMattell Tue 19-Aug-14 13:58:03

I would discuss with employers.
How old is the child ? And do you have to use each day eg taking an older child to school?
Health and safety at work act applies to all employment and if the buggy damages your shoulder or back you could take legal action. Yes I know a bit far fetched but you are not obliged to continue to use if seriously damaging your health. So I would suggest a compromise.
Discuss with the family. Maybe they have considered replacing it anyway, could you buy one cheaply second hand maybe pay 50 /50 with employer?

FlorenceMattell Tue 19-Aug-14 13:59:47

Sorry just read the bit about charge 5 months; definitely need to sort out as long term. When charge older you can buy a basic buggy quite cheaply, light weight stroller. But this age less choice.

mrswishywashy Tue 19-Aug-14 17:02:48

I struggled with that pram as well used it with a baby from 3 months to 9 months when my contract ended. I think it's a little different as I had an end date. Maybe wait a week or two and then mention a lighter or more suitable pram. It's one pram that gets such good reviews and I'm not sure how I disliked it more each day - handle not comfy to hold and wrong angle for me, constantly kicking it and extremely heavy to push no idea how people push it with older children.

cadidog Tue 19-Aug-14 17:10:46

I had the same issue with the handle. After pushing it any distance I felt like I'd been hunching my shoulders for hours and it's really heavy for a supposedly lightweight stroller. I guess they don't have to change it but I'd certainly mention my discomfort. You don't have anything to lose.

minipie Tue 19-Aug-14 17:18:50

I'm a nanny employer and would definitely want to know if my nanny felt like this.

Although, I think I'd want you to have given it a good go first and see if you get used to it. I'd also be more inclined to make changes for a nanny who'd already "proved themselves" and I was happy with, iyswim, rather than a brand new nanny.

So I'd say it might go down better if you can give it another few weeks before you say anything. Any other solution in the meantime? Do they have a sling? Can you avoid going long distances?

If my nanny did raise this with me, it would also be helpful to know what buggies she does like and if she could have already found one available locally and fairly cheaply on gumtree, so much the better smile

Sympathy as I hated the BJCM too when I tried it in a shop, but it is very popular so guess the parents may be very happy with it...

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 19-Aug-14 19:02:08

I feel your pain. Literally

Had the bjcm in a temp job. Hated it with a passion

Def worth researching and find a buggy you like and talk to employers

DearGirl Tue 19-Aug-14 20:41:33

I have this in my job and love it blush

Cindy34 Tue 19-Aug-14 22:30:48

Is it worth considering a sling / front carrier for while baby is young. Then once heavier, then see if you can find a low cost umbrella fold.

Certainly discuss with your boss. See what comes up on freecycle, local selling board, nearly new sale, car boot. Never know may find a low cost buggy that is more suitable.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 20-Aug-14 14:55:20

Oh dear - are you super tall? Is there any way to extend the handle so you don't tread on the back - that would drive me mad.

I'd be slightly horrified at the prospect of having to buy a new pram to be honest, and worse still potentially store another one if I wanted to use the detested pram myself on weekends. [in London so space is at a premium.] Ultimately as Minipie has said though, we would have to do something about it and most people end up with two prams in the end anyway. Handier if new parents figure out this for themselves though.

I would definitely do a bit of research on alternatives and second hand costs but I wouldn't expect an answer straight away smile. I'd raise it after a reasonable period of time to see if your muscles get used to it, offer suggestions and then leave them to think about it.

Karoleann Wed 20-Aug-14 19:28:06

After ds2 was born we had a side by side double that I loved..I think it was a mountain buggy. Nanny and DH hated it. TBH you did need to be a bit pushy on the pavements of NW London with it.

Anyway....I did change it. But there was money to spare.

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Wed 20-Aug-14 19:35:49

If you can hold out until charge is 6mo then you'll have proved yourself a bit and established that you have really tried to get used to it (as pp mentioned) and also there will be a greater range of suitable alternative buggies available.

Purplehonesty Wed 20-Aug-14 19:36:39

Could you invest in a second hand one that you do like and keep it for future children?

I presume you are a cm? I've always bought my own equipment and then used it with all my charges. Would that be feasible?

Purplehonesty Wed 20-Aug-14 19:37:11

Scrap that. You are a nanny aren't you? Sorry!! Not helpful

Itsfab Wed 20-Aug-14 19:42:10

The OP sounds like a nanny to me, not a CM.

Sorry, yes am a nanny with hunchback shoulders now wink

I will give it another 6 weeks or so and see how we go...I've used it a few times before on day-temp jobs and hated it but didn't think much of it...but now I really hate it!
And I'm genuinely not fussy with buggies aside from the hideous quinny Zapp so I could find one that I'd be happy with really easily and for a good price (I'm an excellent bargain hunter wink )

it's a v narrow buggy which is great but the handle is a half moon so you kind of have to hold the sides like your holding a book and hunch over it...it's awful!

I'm not especially tall(5'6") but am broad shouldered which doesn't help

Argh!

This is the buggy...the handle looke wide enough to be comfy but it just isn't!

loupouou Wed 20-Aug-14 23:46:01

I actually requested a new buggy and I got this one- I love it! but each to their own. I love how easily it folds down and up. My family said when I started that if I didn't like the buggy I just had to say so I suppose that made it a lot easier but they were totally fine when I asked. I'm sure they would rather you were happy. good luck! smile

minipie Thu 21-Aug-14 10:01:50

Hiya, just came across this which is another possibility - though you'd have to get it shipped from the US so bit of a risk.

PacificDogwood Thu 21-Aug-14 10:05:23

Another nanny employer here, and I'd want to know as well.
Do speak to your employers about this.

They are likely to want to keep healthy and hale to continue doing the job (I am very interested that my nanny is happy and healthy wink), so a change of buggy seems like a small thing to support if you are that uncomfortable.

I know I've had buggies I loved and some of my friends hated - horses for courses.
How old is your charge?

PacificDogwood Thu 21-Aug-14 10:06:48

Oh look, there is of course a MN thread or three on the very subject grin

Google 'buggy handle extensions' and find many UK suppliers too - Tesco being one of them.

MNPinto2014 Thu 21-Aug-14 23:44:57

As a maternity Nanny i have my own pram suitable from birth for the times i dont get on with the family pram.

I also have my own wrap and ring sling and mei tei.

PowerPants Fri 22-Aug-14 01:32:57

I changed my buggy because our nanny hated it - she was quite short and couldn't get to grips with it. It was a Bugaboo so I flogged it and got the City Mini she wanted.

Though as ever, we ended up using the Maclaren all the time!

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 22-Aug-14 15:44:29

our nanny told us she was struggling with heffalump toddler in a petite star zia so we bought a BJCM to use which she loves. Suppose it's all horses for courses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now