Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How hard is it to find a childminder in North London?

(3 Posts)
Pris79 Sun 04-May-14 12:41:20

Hi!
I'm moving from Sweden to London in August and want to find a childminder for my 2-year-old daughter in North London. How easy/difficult is this?
We still don't know exactly where we will live and I'm struggling with the catch 22 question of whether to find a property first and then a childminder nearby, or the other way around? It seems like rental properties don't go up on the market until 1-2 months before they become available which means we would have very short notice on finding a childminder after that.
Also, how long hours is normal for a child to stay with a childminder?
Are childminders flexible to work on a changing schedule? (I will work different shifts in my job and could possibly save on childcare by having fewer hours on some days, but may need help on evenings sometime too)
Do they charge per hour, or a fixed monthly rate?
Best, M

ionishiran Wed 28-Dec-16 05:50:16

Hello!
I saw your question online and found it very interesting because I am struggling with the EXACT same questions.
Unfortunately I didn't see many responses to your question, but was hoping that with your 2 year experience you could share some tips?!

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
Yoni

Rattusn Wed 28-Dec-16 09:16:23

The answer very much depends on the exact area you are looking at. Some areas have a glut of childcare options, and others relatively few. It might be worth thinking of an area you would like to live in, and provisionally looking at the childminders in that area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now