Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Becoming a childminder HELP

(6 Posts)
k8thegr8 Thu 03-Apr-14 20:08:48

So basically as the title says really, I've been a nanny for the past 5ish years. Through no fault of my own the circumstances have changed, and now have the choice to a) become a childminder, I'm self employed anyway or b) look for work in the childcare sector ( which is really hard these days as I haven't been in a nursery for such a long time and prefer being my own boss.

I've had the all clear from my landlord and letting agent, and have booked on a course.

My house is small so I know this will limit the amount of children I can have but I think it will cover the cost of living with extra ££ aswell.

What sort of stuff do I need to start doing ie safety, courses etc?

I'd also like to get back into the eyfs I know it changes in sept roughly the time I'll be all sorted, can it get a pack anywhere?

Any online courses I can do to better my self?

And hints and tips etc

Very much appreciated smile

springandbunnies Thu 03-Apr-14 20:12:40

I am just starting on the road to becoming a childminder
I am going through pacey hv paid for cypop online course, first aid and safe guarding
Waiting for log in so I can start

k8thegr8 Thu 03-Apr-14 20:14:17

I'm already booked onto a course. Was looking for extra stuff to enhance my knowledge smile

nannynick Thu 03-Apr-14 20:41:15

What does your course include?

Safeguarding
Paediatric First Aid (12 hour)

EYFS 2014 and links to older things on the FoundationYears.org.uk site.

If your current nanny insurance is via MortonMichel, then you can do some online training via the EYFS training guides, from here.

Food Hygiene courses can be done online.

Before paying for courses, check what your local authority provides.

k8thegr8 Thu 03-Apr-14 20:49:58

Course includes:
Introduction into childminding
Safe guarding policies etc
2 day first aid
Food hygiene

Certificate for the above

This is the free council course

I've not had insurance as a nanny �� but have just been looking at Morton Michael. (Will be getting this when needed)

I'm looking for the courses you would do in a nursery but can't seem to find anywhere such as

Introduction back into eyfs
Messy play
Rainy day play etc?

nannynick Thu 03-Apr-14 21:04:28

Gosh your council provides a lot for free, quite unusual to get first aid funded these days.

Once you are registered, your council may have training courses they do for nursery staff which you could TRY to get a place on.
Not sure about online providers of those courses, would like to know myself - anyone know of any?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now