Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

A couple of questions about registering as a childminder

(4 Posts)
BranchingOut Wed 02-Apr-14 19:42:16

I am thinking of registering as a childminder at some point in the future. At the moment I am wondering when to do the training and begin the registration process eg. this year, next year...

My questions are:

Does it matter if you have any gaps between completing your training course and Ofsted registration?

Can you register with Ofsted and then choose to have no children attending your setting for a while? Does this matter?

I know that childminder agencies are on the horizon and am wondering if it is worth going ahead and taking steps to getting registered asap to avoid the new system.

nannynick Wed 02-Apr-14 22:37:06

1. You have to complete the training before registering. Not sure how long a time can expire between doing the course and registering. This is probably something you need to ask the regulator. Courses change over time.
If you are able to get a grant to cover the training course - such as Childcare Business Grant, then that may have certain timeframe attached, such as you must be intending to start business within 6 months.

2. Yes you can have No Children On Roll. I think there may be a limit to the number of inspections they will do before they take action to deregister you.
Try reading this guide to Inspecting providers with no children on roll or no children present at time of inspection.

BranchingOut Thu 03-Apr-14 07:31:01

Thanks, Nannynick.

adsy Thu 03-Apr-14 17:27:23

If you have no children for 3 years they can deregister you though I have no idea how they would know this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now