Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder and tv

(19 Posts)
runnerBeanee Sun 30-Mar-14 19:40:36

Hello, I'm a parent and my ds has been going to a childminder for 18 months now. He's two and a half and communicates well.

For several months he's been reciting various names and songs. I had thought these were other children/rhymes from the weekly playgroup he goes to with CM. I have been happy with CM and we get on quite well, so I mentioned this to her a few weeks ago and she said he may have learned the names/rhymes as another childminder often sings. I was curious though as I had never heard these songs before. Now I've discovered he knows them as they're from children's tv programmes hmm

I don't mind him watching tv per se, he watches and enjoys some cbeebies at home, but doesn't recite the words/songs. It makes me wonder how much he watches with CM and why she didn't say so? They are distinctive words/characters/songs. She doesn't mention tv in his learning journal, in her statement she only mentions very occasional tv. What do other childminders think? If CM had just said he watches twenty minutes while she makes lunch I wouldn't mind at all, it's the lack of communications that worries me. There's at least two programmes he knows very well.

grabaspoon Sun 30-Mar-14 19:43:57

So is he singing nursery rhymes or tv jingles?

Forgettable Sun 30-Mar-14 19:52:51

You can get cds of songs say Justin Fletcher in all his incarnations, and tv theme tunes ie postman pat/ballymory (sp) etc

?

runnerBeanee Sun 30-Mar-14 20:42:31

He's signing tv jingles and asking for specific programmes on tv that we've never watched at home. It all seems a bit odd.

ZuleikaD Mon 31-Mar-14 10:52:05

What is her stated policy on tv? It sounds as though you may have to decide whether you'll tolerate lots of tv or alternatively change CMs. Speaking for my own practice we don't have tv at all, ever.

blueberryupsidedown Mon 31-Mar-14 11:44:07

I have a cd of Disney songs, and a cd of music from cbeebies. As a child-minder, we watch two programmes a day - I look after two children and they choose one -program each. They do see the adverts for other programmes before and after the shoes. Children do pick up on these things very quickly. I don't have a TV policy but each show we watch is noted in the child's home book. The best thing is to talk about with you CM.

blueberryupsidedown Mon 31-Mar-14 11:44:35

Shows, not shoes!

Mrswellyboot Mon 31-Mar-14 11:46:57

Every cm and crèche had the TV on when I 'popped in' while looking for a place for the baby

In one, staff were sitting watching it with them. I think it is common enough.

Artandco Mon 31-Mar-14 12:01:25

I would ask. Our children very rarely see any tv at all at home ie once a month max and usually a family film rather than kids tv. However many of their friends have tv character toys which sing the theme tunes, and ours have some kids CDs with songs on. So for example they know bob the builder tune even though they have only seen maybe once/ twice ever, as hear on cd, and kids repeat etc..

Cindy34 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:01:45

Not just TV these days, children use Tablets, Computers.

Talk to your CM about how often programs are seen.

Cindy34 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:04:24

We have lots of audio in the car, Peppa Pig seems the current favourite, though Room on the Broom and other rhyming books are good. Nursery rhyme songs also popular, and even some movie soundtracks. Occasionally the children will like ClassicaFM.

ZuleikaD Mon 31-Mar-14 12:29:37

Not just TV these days, children use Tablets, Computers.

Not on my watch they don't!

Artandco Mon 31-Mar-14 12:53:19

Mine don't use computers/ tablets either. They are pre school

busyDays Mon 31-Mar-14 13:22:58

I think you need to just ask her straight out exactly how much TV he watches. If you have never asked then it is just as much a lack of communication of your side as hers. A learning journal is supposed to focus on a child's development so I wouldn't expect to see anything about TV in there even if he does watch it.

I only allow TV one day a week after school and parents are always surprised that I am so strict and seem to assume that it would be on much more. So if you have never specifically said that you don't want your ds to watch too much TV then she may have just thought that you are perfectly happy with it.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 31-Mar-14 19:29:39

Just ask her. I have the TV on when I'm minding for an hour maybe a day. But not everyday.

I always ask my parents though if they mind if it is on occasionally. Everyone I've asked has said they don't.

happydazed Mon 31-Mar-14 19:33:55

I only have the TV on at the end of the day when I am tidying up and so everyone is sitting down ready to go. It does mean though that it is the last thing on their minds so we will have a great day doing all sorts of exiting things and when parents ask what they have done they say watch peppa pig!

just ask your childminder. its fair enough you should know how much it is on. With the jingles I find them catchy and find myself singing then all day especially the fireman Sam song and that's it in my head again now!

HSMMaCM Mon 31-Mar-14 20:28:25

We sing Bob the Builder at songtime nearly every day.

As others have said, just ask.

starlight1234 Mon 31-Mar-14 20:33:48

I will often go one week to a next with no tv on...However...when we do it is part of a conversation...It is usually mr Tumble ( who gets right on my nerves by the way..as his voice grates on me ) but we use the signs and discussion...

Other time is when they are poorly and more likely to rest sit down and relax...

I do also have a theme tunes CD and at music group we do bob the builder and other regular songs...

I have no after schoolies at the mo..I am a lot more relaxed about after school if they have had long day at school we do some play but Sit down and chill out with TV is fine

I would ask if you are wondering how often TV is watched...

runnerBeanee Tue 01-Apr-14 18:31:22

Hi and thanks for the replies. I asked cm yesterday and she said they have some tv on whilst she prepares lunch but not much more. Tbh I'm happy with her so all's good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now