Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders first aid courses (OFSTED)

(17 Posts)
moomin35 Sun 30-Mar-14 11:24:56

Hi, I am looking to become a childminder but am confused as to which first aid course I would need to complete. I will register with OFSTED so need one that is recognised by them I guess but would this be a one day or 2 day one, who is the best provider (and cheapest!) of the courses. Can anyone advise me? Thanks :-)

NomDeClavier Sun 30-Mar-14 13:36:08

Child minders need a 12 hour paediatric First Aid course. Home childcarers (nannies) can do a shorter one. There are some providers who offer a blended course, 1 day attendance plus e-learning, but the best thing to do is contact your Local Authority and see what the provision is where you are.

insancerre Sun 30-Mar-14 17:06:15

try your local children's centre
they often run the 12 hour paediatric course at a reasonable price

moomin35 Mon 31-Mar-14 18:36:28

My local childrens centre have aid they run a 2 hour parent one so I'm guessing this would be no good for me?

Cindy34 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:38:39

No use, it has to be the 12 hour Paediatric course. Providers will be able to tell you if it is suitable for Ofsted Childminder registration.

Nationally:
St.John Ambulance
British Red Cross

There will also be local providers. Your local borough or county council may have a list on their website of providers.

I tend to do courses at whereever is close and convenient, such as two saturdays in a local town.

Cindy34 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:40:31

St.John Ambulance - Paediatric Course Finder - enter your nearest town and see what is in your area.

Bonkerz Tue 01-Apr-14 14:05:25

Until September the first aid course you need HaS to be approved by your local council so I would approach them as they do have part funded places available. After September you can use any first aid provider as long as it's a 12 hour pediatric course.

Contact your council

HSMMaCM Tue 01-Apr-14 15:27:10

Bonkerz - I've never had my courses approved by the council.

Bonkerz Tue 01-Apr-14 19:36:54

Current statutory guidance from ofsted says it HAS to be an LA approved provider but this changes in September

Lucylouby Tue 01-Apr-14 20:24:02

I'm a cm and get a list of first aid courses that are fully funded by the local council. Is it different in other areas and for newly registering childminders now?

HSMMaCM Tue 01-Apr-14 21:09:14

Oh, well I've just booked on Ofsted approved paediatric first aid courses. I don't think my LA are interested, but I'll tell them.

Have you got the statutory guidance reference or link? Thanks.

HSMMaCM Tue 01-Apr-14 21:10:03

Lucy - I wish ours were funded. Haven't been for many years.

Lucylouby Tue 01-Apr-14 22:44:30

Can I ask roughly how much you pay for a first aid course? We get a booklet every six months or so with a list of all the courses they are offering for the next period. First aid, speech and language, behaviour, food hygiene, safeguarding, managing staff, health and safety, fire safety, equality. The list has shrunk dramatically recently, but still some good things to do.
I get really annoyed that the government wants its childcare workforce to be well educated and have up to date knowledge, but at the same time are cutting funding for courses to help us with that.

HSMMaCM Tue 01-Apr-14 23:04:46

We have to find out first aid courses ourselves. None recommended or funded. I think my last one was £84. We also have to pay for all the other statutory courses.

Bonkerz Wed 02-Apr-14 13:11:52

Stat guidance page 21 ref 3:24! First aid courses must be LA approved but only until September!

HSMMaCM Wed 02-Apr-14 13:40:39

Thanks Bonkerz. Ours obviously just approve any Ofsted acceptable ones.

Edendance Wed 02-Apr-14 19:22:12

I'm a nanny and did my last one at Red Cross in Eusten. I couldn't recommend it enough! I've done several courses over the last few years, most of which were St John's, but this last one beat them all hands down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now