Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Will I get a nanny to do this? And how much to pay in St Albans (live in)?

(8 Posts)
JessMcL Thu 27-Mar-14 17:27:27

I have 2 children at full time school (well 4 but my eldest is fully self sufficient) and a 4 year old who is at pre school 5 mornings a week.

I'm thinking about getting a Nanny come housekeeper- someone who will run the hoover over, walk the dog and then look after the children as and when required.

How much would I be looking at paying??

Mintyy Thu 27-Mar-14 17:30:35

Good luck with that then.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 27-Mar-14 17:34:23

You need to think about how many hours and it's probably going to be about £10 an hour round here.

Artandco Thu 27-Mar-14 17:39:25

You will find someone, but I wouldn't ask for any cleaning ie hoovering.

Assuming they have to drop children at school and nursery they would only be free say 9.30am-11.30am by the time they get back/ leave.

So just nanny duties IMO. This includes childrens bedding and washing, and cooking for them, sorting anything needed. They may be happy to cook for you also if lasagne etc. they may walk dog if time. But tbh if they prepped and sorted dinner and made say some muffins that's 9.30-10.30 gone. And only leaves an hour to pop to shop for milk/ sort kids washing/ wrap birthday gift for after party etc.. At a guess £400-500 a week net

Hire a cleaner separately

JessMcL Thu 27-Mar-14 18:07:32

I meant to say we would be looking for someone to live in.

Would we be better considering a au pair?? I couldn't afford nursery, nanny and a cleaner.

Artandco Thu 27-Mar-14 18:24:12

£400 -500 would be my guess for live in. 4 children, lots of school runs, contrasting ages, cooking, dog walking, housework won't be the low end of the pay range

Why don't you take eldest out of nursery? A nanny can teach them at home anyway. And can take out to museums/ swimming etc. I'm assuming he has school in sept anyway.

Would you still want a nanny in September? As most nannies want long term positions.

Karoleann Thu 27-Mar-14 18:45:47

I live nearby (ish) and there's lots of other families who have nanny housekeepers who do exactly what you're asking. Although you may need to get a dog walker too.

Pulling your daughter out of pre-school would be completely unnecessary as the housekeeper will be using that time to do housekeeping. A nanny couldn't give your child the same social stimulation as a room full of children the same age anyway.

I think the hours would be too long for an au pair and they only do light household duties.

Most families round here pay between £250-350 live in.

JessMcL Thu 27-Mar-14 19:06:46

Don't want to take my youngest out of nursery, so not really an option.

I think we may look into doing full time nursery and aupair to cover after school for older ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now