Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny retainer fees

(10 Posts)
Yerazig Thu 27-Mar-14 13:45:22

Hi I just wanted to ask a question. I have an interview coming up for a nanny job which is four days a week. And which it's stated the fifth day may be needed sometimes. The problem being i would still need to be working/making money on that date. The only way i can think that it would work would be to ask for a retainer I.e half pay for that day just incase they do need me. Would it be cheeky has any nanny employer/nanny done anything like that. Or would i be best not going for the interview?
Thanks

Cindy34 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:26:31

No harm asking but they may well choose someone who is able to do the additional day at short notice without wanting a retainer.

I feel you should figure out if you can accept the 4 day a week salary or if you need a guaranteed income above that.
How much notice would there be for the additional day, could it fit with nursery temping perhaps?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Mar-14 14:50:36

I personally feel if they want a 5th day then they need to pay for itvia a retainer

If they are happy to ask you and if you are free fine but if have plans and can't do it then they can't moan if don't pay you

Why should you be out of pocket /not be be able to make plans on the off chance they need you

mrswishywashy Thu 27-Mar-14 15:03:50

Yup, they need to pay a retainer if they need the extra day or if they want a flexible four days over five. We need to earn a living too!

newbieman1978 Thu 27-Mar-14 15:40:08

If they actually want you to be always available to work extra then of course they should pay you some sort of fee. However I'm 99% sure that what they actually want is someone part time who is willing to do extra should it be mutually conventient and pay you for extra hours worked.
It's pretty standard across all industries and business these days....flexibility is seen as this great virtue!

Good luck with the interview.

Strix Thu 27-Mar-14 15:47:47

I wouldn't ask for a retainer. But would say that I'd be happy to work on the fifth day if I haven't already got something else planned. Politely let them know that you can't guarantee availability.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Mar-14 17:33:36

Strix - that's what I meant but you word it so better then me smile

Yerazig Fri 28-Mar-14 11:24:39

Thank you guys. Didn't know if it was a cheeky request. As I would 100% would need to work the other day. But I suppose there is no harm asking her and wording it politely that I would have to work the other day. Thanks for the advice.

Cindy34 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:02:11

If you have to work the other day, then would looking for a 5 day a week job be better?

These days parents want flexibility. My job has changed working days and hours over the last few years, though my total weekly hours remains the same. Flexibility may not suit everyone, so can understand if you need more hours.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 28-Mar-14 23:37:24

How do holidays work for a 4 day job that sometimes wants 5 so 28 in all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now