Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I need nanny friends!

(11 Posts)
rm00054 Wed 26-Mar-14 15:08:33

I started my job in November last year and I still haven't met any local nannies. It's ok as I only work 3 days a week, but I am getting more and more bored without adults to talk to, and am dreading the impending school holidays!
I go to local Playgroups and parks but I there just aren't any nannies (loads of childminders though!) There is a nanny 2 doors down from my family but she works the 2 days I don't!
My main problem is that I try not to drive with tho kiddies, so any playdates/activities need to be within a 30 min walk.
I have a 1yr old and a 2yr old so don't have the opportunity to meet people at nursery drop off (how I met all my nanny friends in previous jobs).
So how do I find friends?!

Marylou62 Wed 26-Mar-14 16:09:04

I feel for you! I am between jobs at the moment and seriously thinking about other possibilities as I found my last job very isolating. No other nannies and although in the village where I live, all my friends working! Mothers say 'oh yes come round anytime' but when I text they're all busy. Usual Mother n toddlers but then my hours changed so missed them. Where are you working? As for the summer holidays, the local park is where I meet most mums/nannies. Try the childminders as I used to be one and I'm sure you can make friends that way. Loneliness is awful and you can only walk the streets for so long. Good Luck.

grabaspoon Wed 26-Mar-14 18:27:39

Do you go to any groups? I met one of my best friends through the sure start stay and play groups and other nannies through a facebook page.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 26-Mar-14 18:51:04

Can you ring any local agencies and ask for some nannies names

Have a look on nannyjob meet nannies section and you can write your own post /area on there

Is this your first nanny job? Do you not know of any other nannies at all?

I see nannies - mums and childminders

Cindy34 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:07:40

Finding friends is tricky I find. People care for different aged children, work different days, work different hours, have various commitments (classes already booked).

Try looking at people who are not nannies... Local mums, dads, childminders. Anyone you meet at toddler group who has similar aged children.

minderjinx Wed 26-Mar-14 20:58:14

Some areas (including mine) have childminder & nannies' toddler groups, homecarers' drop ins or the like. Try your local authority or pacey local to find details.

Karoleann Wed 26-Mar-14 21:05:23

Where do you live - that might narrow things down...

Lucylouby Wed 26-Mar-14 21:10:07

I'm a mum and a childminder, don't rule people out to be your friend just because of a title. I am friends with and go to groups with other childminders, nannies and mums, I go out socially with groups of these people too. When I was a nanny I was friends with a group of mums who all had children a similar age to the one I looked after and it was fine. My nanny agency were always trying to fix me up to be friends with other nannies who were local but either the children we looked after were different ages (as in a baby to a school age child), we worked different hours, worked too far away with each other etc. I found it works best to get to know People who went to the same groups as I went to.

McPheezingMyButtOff Wed 26-Mar-14 21:11:35

Have you left a post on nannyjob.co.uk?

They have a section for finding nanny friends, I think.

NannyLouise29 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:18:07

Like Lucylouby said it is far better to try to meet people doing the same thing as you. I have been know to strike up conversations in the park with someone vaguely my age in a bid to make friends. They don't have to be a nanny either, it's just nice to have some adult company!

rm00054 Thu 27-Mar-14 08:18:44

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I do go to groups and while (most) people are friendly and happy to chat whilst there, no one is interested in meeting up outside of the groups. The childminders in all the groups I go to are part of a big group (4 or 5 of them working together) and they have no interest in making new friends. I also find that childminders don't tend to do play dates round people's houses.

I think my main problem is the 1 yr old I have is at the very active but not safe with it stage, so I find myself constantly following him around (stopping him trying to eat crayons) and not being able to finish a conversation with anyone!

I have loads of nanny/childminder friends from previous jobs, but I now work a 30 min drive away from them and their charges are now much older than mine.

I'm in a small village on the edge of a large town in Surrey, if that makes any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now