Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How tidy is your home in the morning when children arrive?

(15 Posts)
CrazyBabies Tue 25-Mar-14 16:38:00

I'm really struggling to keep home tidy. It feels like there are so many jobs that need doing in the morning. I can't do them the night before as my husband stays up later than me and makes a bit of a mess.
We have a puppy and cats which really doesn't help. Mainly the dog whose the problem!!
I am a perfectionist and like things just so but it exhausts me.
What do you think parents feel is important when they arrive?
I know that I am overly warn out at the mo because I haven't been well, so everything seems that bit harder.

newbieman1978 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:58:27

The lady that looked after our son had a pretty immaculate home, of course if there were children there before we turned up, toys would be out ect. But the place was very clean and no "home" clutter was ever visable.

To be honest if you are running a business then I'd expect a professional attitude thus your prmises should be up to scratch.

You wouldn't use a cafe or resturant that was untidy and dirty would you?

Remember your clients (parents) will judge what they see and if the bits they can see are a mess then they will wonder what the bits they can't see are like ie toilets and washrooms ect.

CrazyBabies Tue 25-Mar-14 18:23:05

Thanks for that. Yes I agree, hence why I am so exhausted. One of my parents has remarked how clean my house ALWAYS is! But that's because I put so much effort in. Clean childrens toilet daily, and my house is open plan so a whole downstairs needs to be ready for children. Think it's having all the pets. Puppy isn't properly house trained. Has accidents first thing mainly, so I steam clean the floor every morning.
Just think I'm a bit drained and down from being unwell the past 10 days, urinary infection, and have tried to carry on giving high quality care.

minderjinx Tue 25-Mar-14 18:46:59

Cleanliness is important, safety is important - so nothing left out which might harm a child - but I do not personally feel that tidiness to the extent of being totally immaculate and clinical is my top priority. I would not be too bothered at parents finding breakfast dishes on the table or newspapers on the sofa. It is supposed to be a home after all, not an operating theatre. On the other hand, I'm afraid I wouldn't have a puppy, not if I was going to have babies and toddlers in the space... and not if cleaning up after it was going to add to my already heavy workload.

newbieman1978 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:55:37

Maybe you should employ some help even if it's just a cleaner, after all you are working as a childminder (full time?) and your home is your business premises. If you need some help it isn't a failure to get some.

CrazyBabies Tue 25-Mar-14 19:06:52

Thanks for all your comments. I have a cleaner once a fortnight which really helps. I live I a busy household so always feel I am cleaning and tidying!
But like I said before, I've not been well, so a bit overwhelmed. It's a hard enough job, let alone when your ill.

Lucylouby Tue 25-Mar-14 20:54:28

I think you need to have a word with your DH. If you are leaving the downstairs of your home tidy when you go to bed, the least he can do is keep it that way so it is ready for you to start work in the morning. You shouldn't be having to clear away the mess of another adult before you can start work.

natwebb79 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:30:13

I agree. The only problem here is that your DH needs a kick up the backside to clear up after himself when he knows you are running a business from home.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 30-Mar-14 15:16:35

once a fortnight isnt enough, the cm i know has a mon and fri cleaner

and agree hubby should tidy up or not make mess

Woodifer Sun 30-Mar-14 22:23:12

Have you thought about crate training puppy? Lots of info on line if you google or ask on mumsnet doghouse bit.

emmie31 Tue 01-Apr-14 13:57:50

My house is never immaculate , I have my own children who will get up and start playing with toys in the morning or making dens, also their breakfast dishes are usually still on the table when parents turn up , don't forget that your place of work is also your home and if there is family ' clutter' around then so be it, you aren't a nursery!

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 02-Apr-14 11:41:15

Crazy - it's hard isn't it.
My house is always clean, however, toys are out and at the end of the day it can look like a bomb has dropped!
I handover at the door mainly, and the mum who tends to come in works in a nursery so is used to the mess kids make. I have a Friday in the day off and spend it shopping, reading where I can catch up with chores.

Not sure what you mean by family clutter! But as my family live here sometimes parents may see their things! grin

I'd prefer to spend time with my children own and minded than in pursuit of a show home.

badidea Wed 02-Apr-14 12:14:37

I don't care about mess or untidiness at all in my CM's home as long as the important things are clean (e.g. toilets, tables, highchair etc). I expect to see a wheen of toys all over the place and plates or some mess where snacks have taken place or after lunch.

I want my son to have a nice time playing when he's at the CM - its a home from home environment I'm looking for (and my home is a tip!), if I wasn't I'd have sent him to nursery.

Families create mess, as long as it's mess and not dirt, I'm happy, but I loathe housework myself (and rarely do it) so maybe my standards are pretty low :-)

We have 2 cats, one fluffy, one shorthaired and the fluffy one molts all the time - total nightmare (they were rescue cats, but id' never take another long haired cat again) I literally need to hoover 2-3 times a day to keep the fluff off the carpets.

I would say that when I was choosing a CM, having pets was on my 'want' list as I wanted my child to have daily exposure to pets (we didn't have the cats then) so I would have expected some pet-related mess. As it turned out my CM doesn't have pets (my 'want' list disappeared when I just met my CM, decided I liked her and how she was with her mindees and that's enough for me :-)

Maybe with you being run down just now having a cleaner for a couple of days would help until you're back on top, but if no-one has complained you're probably doing a fab job and are just being over-critical of yourself.

CrazyBabies Wed 02-Apr-14 17:33:23

Ah! Love your replies epsecially the comment about "show home", puppy crates and general familily mess iykwim. Been feeling a lot better today and realise that I do do a good job and provide the best service I can.
My parents are happy with me as their comments about things tell me they are.
I have a puppy pen but puppy getting big now! So I think I may get a crate and give her an area for calming down time when she gets over excited. She is practically house trained to and we are getting into a routine eg,she goes in the garden at meal times so she isn't begging for food.

badidea Wed 02-Apr-14 18:31:04

crazy I bet your mindees love your puppy (I know my son would!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now