Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders- how much holiday do you take?

(11 Posts)
cinnamongreyhound Tue 25-Mar-14 07:15:42

I'm having a problem with a parent who messaged me (not spoke to me) that 'I am taking more and more holiday, she just can't juggle it anymore so she's giving me notice and leaving her job'. This is in response to me taking 2 days off at Easter. I have so far taken one other day this year that affected her and gave two weeks booked in summer which she's known about for sometime.

I don't state in my contract how much holiday I take but I generally take 2 weeks and a few days throughout the year with notice. This child is school Hols only and I've been minding him almost 3 years.

She then messaged me to ask if Easter would be normal and to tell me she had two days off during Easter which were different to mine.

I try my best to take days off the affect the least customers as I appreciate how hard it is to cover but my ds1 is at school so I want a day or two to spend with him without working. I can't help but feel there's something underlying that she's not telling me.

ElectricalBanana Tue 25-Mar-14 07:49:28

I take 5 weeks off a year with almost a years notice. I take it all in school hols time ( even though I don't have any kids of my own) as most of my lot are term time only.

This year I am having a major op so I have cut back my hols to just two weeks plus the time I need off - again I have organised it to be when it's school hols.

Whatever I do I upset someone. One set of parents always find an opportunity to have a dig. When I told parents I needed a major op their first response was oh no what are we going to do? Not omg electrical that's a bit pants.

It does upset me sometimes.

badidea Tue 25-Mar-14 08:19:54

My CM has a week at easter, a week at october, 2 weeks in the summer and is closed for the school fortnight at christmas (so 6 weeks) however last year she took 7 weeks, and this year she's also thinking about taking an extra week (so 7 weeks). The two extra weeks relate to one-off family events (anniversaries etc)

I don't pay for her holidays, so as far as I'm concerned she can take as many as she likes (I get 6 weeks holiday in my job - why shouldn't she?)

2 weeks and a few days is hardly any time at all in a year - I think your client is being entirely unreasonable.

almaradlu Tue 25-Mar-14 08:27:20

I have on my contracts that I will take 4 weeks a year. I always take 2 weeks at Christmas and then try to take another week in the summer holidays and then keep the other week for odd days.

It is so hard trying to take holidays that keeps everyone happy.

Electrical - several years ago I had to have an op, it wasnt a surprise to the families I was caring for as I had given them at least 6 months notice it was going to happen(waiting lists, other treatment first) and I had nothing but verbal abuse off one of the parents. Cant go into full details on here but it had really upset me -its not as if I had planned to have an operation and be off work for 2-3months. I didnt ask anyone to wait for me (one family did though )and after the op it took me a while to build up my work again. It really did upset me the attitude of some. x

cinnamongreyhound Tue 25-Mar-14 10:02:27

Sorry to hear that but glad it's not only me too.

I don't charge fort holidays and I have 2 term time only the rest are all the time apart from this one who's holidays only. He's the only one who is with me both the days I'm taking off too sad

MyNameIsKenAdams Tue 25-Mar-14 10:07:39

My DM is a CM and she takes the Feb half term week, the week inbetween Christmas and New Year, and two weeks in the Summer. She also doesnt work BHs.

She doesnt charge for days she isnt avaliable to work, and gives her leave a year ahead.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 25-Mar-14 11:23:35

I only work 3 days in the school holidays.
I take a week off at Easter or Spring bank, 2 weeks in the summer holidays, a week at October half term and shut between Christmas Eve and going back to school.

I'm up front about my holiday working pattern and how much time I'm going to take off.

I need a break from it and so do my children! Decent parents understand.

Therewere5inthebed Tue 25-Mar-14 13:05:32

I take up to 4 weeks at 1/2 my usual rate, I also close for the few days between Christmas and New Year and also have in my contracts that I may need to take another week off due to training commitments, although I've only ever used 2 days of this one year as I try to train at weekends if at all possible.

I work incredibly hard all year round, 7am-6.30pm term time and school holidays and feel that my family need the break sometimes as much as I do.

I am always upfront with prospective parents when they come to meet me and if they don't like/can't cover these weeks they are free to go elsewhere.

Therewere5inthebed Tue 25-Mar-14 13:07:58

In addition I always inform parents what weeks I'm taking in January so they can plan ahead, either with booking their holidays at the same time or arranging alternative cover.

HSMMaCM Tue 25-Mar-14 15:00:22

I tell parents I aim for around 4 weeks unpaid holidays, but usually take less and very occasionally take more. This year I have only one week booked off and probably won't take any more. Next year, I am considering taking a 3 week holiday (big birthdays), but parents will get more than a year notice.

HSMMaCM Tue 25-Mar-14 15:01:07

Oh ... and I also had a major operation about 10 yrs ago and all the parents were lovely about it. They even helped each other out for the 6 weeks I was out of action.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: