Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you pay less if nanny brings own child?

(24 Posts)
TealHousewife Mon 24-Mar-14 17:05:01

We are interviewing a nanny who would want to bring her child with her, which is fine by us. In this situation, do you pay the less than you would if she wasn't doing that? If so, how much less? I'd be grateful to hear others' experiences.

Bonsoir Mon 24-Mar-14 17:05:50

Yes, she should expect to see that the fact that she brings her DC with her is a benefit in kind for her and that her wages should reflect this.

minipie Mon 24-Mar-14 17:09:56

Yes - I think somewhere from 20-30% less is normal from what I have read. Reflects that they get a benefit in kind as Bonsoir says and also that your DCs will (with the best will in the world) get a bit less attention/time.

Sometimes a nanny with own child still gets full pay (ie no reduction) but that seems to be mostly where the family had the nanny pre-dc, then she came back after mat leave, family are happy to keep paying her the same as she is already a proven/much loved nanny. Not your situation.

minderjinx Mon 24-Mar-14 17:16:55

I think you would expect some discount on the "normal" rate if your nanny brings their own child, but you do have to compare like for like. So if for example you have a relatively inexperienced and/or unqualified nanny versus a more qualified/experienced one with a child of her own, you may find they cost much the same.

TealHousewife Mon 24-Mar-14 17:21:39

Thanks so much for speedy replies, this is very helpful. So if the going net rate in our area is £9/ hour, I'm thinking it might be fair to offer £7/ hour net? Nanny is fairly experienced though.

minderjinx Mon 24-Mar-14 17:21:48

I think you would expect some discount on the "normal" rate if your nanny brings their own child, but you do have to compare like for like. So if for example you have a relatively inexperienced and/or unqualified nanny versus a more qualified/experienced one with a child of her own, you may find they cost much the same.

TealHousewife Mon 24-Mar-14 17:29:21

Hmm, don't want to offer too little. Maybe £7.50? Is it better to offer a gross salary though, or by week/ month?

scoobychocolate Mon 24-Mar-14 17:34:51

Always talk in gross figures

minipie Mon 24-Mar-14 17:35:23

I'd offer a gross hourly rate but then say what that works out to as a net hourly rate (assuming the standard tax code ie assuming this is her only job). you can work out gross to net using online calculator at mranchovy (this assumes just one job). Definitely agree a gross rate in the contract but many nannies are more familiar with net so she may want to see what it will work out to.

TealHousewife Mon 24-Mar-14 17:39:37

That's so helpful, thank you. This is a really really stupid question - you can tell I'm new to this - but does gross include NI and income tax? Ie everything?

minipie Mon 24-Mar-14 18:01:42

Gross includes all their tax and NI, but it doesn't include your employer's NI, which you have to pay as extra on top of the gross amount of your nanny's pay.

I think the online calculators should show you all this hopefully!

TealHousewife Mon 24-Mar-14 18:05:12

Ok got it thank you! Really appreciate all the advice.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:00:46

Could offer gross annual salary, based on working a certain number of hours per week.

On top of Gross salary you will have:
Employers NI
Payroll admin, if using a nanny payroll company
Activities, outings
Travel expenses such as bus/train tickets, mileage payment if nanny uses their own car. Only travel on duty, not to/from place of work.
Food/drink during work hours. Most nannies will be happy to help themselves to something from the fridge for lunch, eat with the children so likely to eat same as the children.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:02:19

You will need to come to an arrangement with regard to who pays for costs of her child, such as on outings, food.

Think about how complications will be overcome, such as What if your children do an activity but the nannies child can't join in?

IndieSkies Mon 24-Mar-14 19:09:30

Is her child the same age? If not, how will she manage naps, and the activities that are for your child's age group?

How will she manage if her child is ill? Or your child is ill and she doesn't want her to catch it? (they will catch everything together, of course!).

Presumably she will feed her child the same as yours - and probably provded by you?

It works well - but you have to have thought of all the angles. 30-33% less is OK, I think.

TealHousewife Mon 24-Mar-14 19:14:08

This is so helpful, thank you, it's all these things you don't think about if you haven't done it before. Now I know why people say nursery is easier!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 24-Mar-14 23:29:43

Always talk gross

Nwoc should be paid less as obv not giving 100% of their attention to your child/ren and the nanny isn't paying for childcare

Tho some nannies think they should be paid the same even if they bring their own child - great if you can but dot assume or expect it

10/20% less is normal

Nanny pays for entrances for her own child for activities and you pay for the nannies entrance

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 25-Mar-14 19:27:22

I'd say a 40/50% reduction as its technically a nanny share and not one to one care just for your child/children.

Who will pay for her childs food? Will you have to live with her childs toys/equipment around the house? Can they both attend the same activities or will your child miss out or be dragged along to her childs school run, activities etc? There are lots of downsides to consider.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 25-Mar-14 19:36:46

It's not a nanny share as in the end the employer calls the shots - and the nanny can't demand stuff as another family parents could

ceeveebee Tue 25-Mar-14 21:14:38

We pay 20% less than go

ceeveebee Tue 25-Mar-14 21:15:47

Aargh - 20% below going rate!
You couldn't do 50% less as unlikely to be above minimum wage...

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 25-Mar-14 21:46:32

Depends on your salary ceeveebee - I would still earn over nmw (just lol) if I earnt 50% less

But yes agree on a typical a nannys salary it would be under nmw

But a nanny taking her own child isn't a nannyshare

olympicsrock Mon 31-Mar-14 00:36:27

We do £9:00 for sole care and £6:50 when our nanny brings her DS. We feed DD tea but nanny pays entrance to activities. There has to be agreement about activities and illness.
We go by treat them like siblings i.e. both children are equally important. If nanny's DS is ill , she looks after my DS in her home that day unless it's something horrible like d&v or I am able to take the day off work. In the same way she will look after my DS with hers if he is unwell. We just try to be flexible and it works well.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 31-Mar-14 14:49:18

Is your nanny insured to look after children in her home - if her ds is ill?

It would be over 2hrs so not legal as she is unlikely to be registered

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now