Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Becoming ofsted registered as a nanny questions!!!

(12 Posts)
Claireaustin1985123 Mon 24-Mar-14 08:22:29

Hi, I have just got a new job as a nanny, I am looking into becoming ofsted registered but I am confused to what first aid course I need to attend? I will be looking after children aged 6 & 8. Do all first aid courses enable me to register or is it only paticular ones? Need to go on one ASAP & in the Epping forest area. Does it need to be a 12 hour course? Please help as I'm starting to stress over it.
Thanks Claire

NannyLouise29 Mon 24-Mar-14 09:23:35

I'm quite sure it needs to be the 12 hour course, and they will normally tell you if it's OFSTED approved.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Mar-14 09:33:27

It needs to meet the criteria. There are shorter courses but when I recently did a 12 hour course, there were two people on that course who had previously completed a shorter course and had been told it was not suitable.

To be safe, do a 12 hour Paediatric course, often done over two days. If you fancy a risk, then do a short course where the course provider claims it is suitable. With luck it will be fine.

It needs to. Be a 12 hour one that meets ofsted requirements

I use TigerLily Training

Contact epping forest college, they definitely do first aid courses but not 100% on wether they are suitable

Don't stress !

scoobychocolate Mon 24-Mar-14 16:43:56

I am a nanny and I too used tigerlily training just last month to do a first aid course I did the 6 hour course which is suitable for ofsted. I even asked before I booked whether it met the requirements for the voluntary ofsted register. There were also 2 other nannies on the course

Claireaustin1985123 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:42:01

Thanks for all your replies, Iv now found out that a 6 hour course is fine & a lot cheaper. Tigerlily.co.uk smile I'm getting insurance, any company suggestions?

I use Morton michel...have done for 5y or so and no complaints at all...they've been v helpful when I've had any questions

scoobychocolate Mon 24-Mar-14 21:37:24

I too use Morton Michel, have done for a few years now.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:42:32

MM here as well. NannyInsure is another provider. Perhaps look at the policies to see which you feel is better for your circumstances.

Claireaustin1985123 Tue 25-Mar-14 08:26:44

Thanx, will look them up. Any more tips?? This is my first ever nanny job so bit nervous but excited too! Only worked in nurseries & pre schools. So a complete change for me.

Cindy34 Tue 25-Mar-14 08:34:40

Agree contract before starting the job.
Get a payslip everytime you are paid.
Communicate with your employer, have an agreed way of communicating with each other... end of the day may as your employer walks through the door may not be the best time. Email, text message, diary, shared digital calendar.
Do not call your employer when they are at work except for emergencies like child going to A&E.
Do send them photos of what their children are doing during the day - secure photo sites can be useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now