Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is considered to be too much?

(13 Posts)
sunnyshines23 Sun 23-Mar-14 21:52:27

Hi, I work as a live-in nanny for a family and it's been a year now. I have only Sundays off and quite often my work goes more than 9 hours per day. During the Sundays, the parents let the children constantly into my room, ask me about random stuff and I kind of get the feeling that they even get irritated when I don't "work" on my days off.
Yeah, the schedule is flexible, however it is a lot of work and I am required to do everything around the house - including ironing of piles of clothes every day. That is for a thousand per month. I was wondering whether this is normal, since I have friends who work as nannies (and only take care of the children, nothing else) and get the same money for less hours.
I was wondering whether this is the case with all families? I am required to do absolutely everything. When we travel, my workdays start at 7am and often finish at 10pm..

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 23-Mar-14 22:39:11

I'd say you are being massively underpaid. Look for another job.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Mar-14 22:42:14

And you must, of course, go out of the house in your time off.

YuccanLiederHorticulture Sun 23-Mar-14 22:48:01

That sounds frankly abusive.

Agree you must just leave the house on your days off if they can't respect your time off - unless you are in the middle of nowhere you can hang out for free in places like libraries and museums.

Spend that time in a library searching for a different position. Not all families take advantage like that.

sunnyshines23 Sun 23-Mar-14 22:49:32

I do go out of the house every Sunday, I can't stay in, since I don't have any space and personal time this way. It is not the only issue, but their "compromise" on making the schedule flexible kept me on this job. I can say it is no longer enough for me to stay. I guess I became a substitute of a parent for the children and a maid for the parents.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Mar-14 23:06:30

It is not a nanny responsibility to cook or clean for the family, only for the children.

If you did not have a written contract specifying responsibilities and hours, they often creep and expand.

splasheeny Sun 23-Mar-14 23:58:03

1000 net or gross?

From your op you are doing 54 hours per week, are you even getting minimum wage?

This sounds very exploitative.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 24-Mar-14 12:34:07

I'm Assuming you have no contract with days and hours etc

Min wage doesn't apply to live in

Look for a new job. Do you have any quals or exp or refs from other jobs?

Get a lock on your door so kids can't barge In

NannyK7H Mon 24-Mar-14 14:48:06

If you are not a nanny/housekeeper then you should not need to do housework outside of nursery duties. If you are nanny/housekeeper then you should have some time during your working hours when you do not have the children to complete the h/k duties. It is unreasonable for you to be expected to do both. And if you are also a housekeeper, you should have a higher salary than a live in nanny alone!
I know how it feels to have the children coming into your room on your time off. I don't understand why parents allow it. Surely they would prefer you to relax and be refreshed for when you are in charge of the children. I have constantly had 'mummy wants to know where my pink dress is' or 'mummy wants to know if you want a cup of tea'. I think mummy actually just wants a children's entertainer on tap!
Do you have a contract?
Just find another job, it's not worth trying to work out how to change your current role.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 24-Mar-14 15:28:15

I have had several au pairs and have had a very strict rule with DC that they only enter the AP's room if invited. The only time we disturb our AP on her days off is to tell her meals are ready. Then DC have to knock and wait for them to reply. We o not disturb them for breakfast only lunch and dinner.

mrswishywashy Mon 24-Mar-14 16:41:46

Sounds very similar to my first over seas nanny position - 7am-8pm, six days per week plus four nights baby sitting. Four children in the family and although I didn't need to do any ironing I did have to clean each area that the children used which as you can imagine with four children took a lot of organising especially after adding in children activities, meal prep and general time with children. I was there 4 years and really enjoyed it.

In regards to your privacy, I actually got a little door triangle and "lock" my door that way, if a child came to my door I'd tell them I was sleeping and would see them later.

Overall you need to have a rethink if you can stay and where changes need to be made to get you to stay. The family I worked for didn't realise how much I did until after I left and then ended up replacing me with an au pair, full time nanny/housekeeper, after school bbsitter and weekend bbsitter!

Also here is information regarding minimum wage for live in nannies, unless you live as part of the family eg an au pair role then there is a minimum wage although this is off set by the accommodation but this amount is set out by the government. http://www.payefornannies.co.uk/parents/minimum_wage.htm

splasheeny Tue 25-Mar-14 00:26:14

Blondes minimum wage does apply unless the live in is an au pair, which the op has stated she isn't.

Op I would be looking at other jobs in your position

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 25-Mar-14 17:12:31

has the law changed on that then? used to be no nmw for live ins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now