Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's the best type of after school childcare?

(13 Posts)
CannyBagOfTudor Sat 22-Mar-14 22:01:04

I need childcare after school from 3-4 one day and 3-6 another day.

I thought I'd go for after-school club, but now I'm thinking a childminder or even a nanny might be better.

I know after school club is £7.50 per session, so for 2 x dc I'd be spending £30 covering the 4 hours I need...wondering if a childminder or nanny wouldn't be that much more expensive? But realistically, is it worth a nanny or childminder's time even having the DC for that little time, esp the 1 hour day?

CannyBagOfTudor Sat 22-Mar-14 22:08:35

Also, totally random question, but would a nanny consider taking a dog with them on the school run, or would that be totally outside the realms of something they would do and asking them would be considered rude?

almaradlu Sat 22-Mar-14 22:44:16

Yes some childminders will care for after school children . I currently care just for after school children and some come for 2 sessions after school a week. I charge a minimum of 2 hours for each session , I know some childminders who charge a fixed rate for the whole after school session, some charge per the hour.

As for walking the dog, I dont know but would it cause problems collecting your children as I know around here no dogs are allowed in the school grounds so if for example they were to take the dog, would they be allowed into the school yard to collect your children and also if they needed to speak to a member of staff what would they do with the dog?

almaradlu Sat 22-Mar-14 22:47:23

Oh I forgot to add I have had children come here as they prefer the home from setting, some have gone to our after school club as they enjoy being in a bigger group and have the freedom of the large school yard to run around. You need to visit several settings to get a feel for what each one offers smile

Lucylouby Sat 22-Mar-14 23:39:39

I'm a cm and would look after your dc for £30 for those hours. That would work out at my hourly rate, but if you live in a different area to me, cm pay may be higher.
As for the nanny with the dog, what do you do with the dog on the school run? Our school will not allow dogs through the gate. So this would be a problem for your nanny. If there is a way round the school gate issue and the nanny likes dogs, she may not mind, depends on the nanny I guess. I wouldn't do it though. I also think a nanny would be more expensive and I reckon you would struggle to find someone for so few hours.

CannyBagOfTudor Sun 23-Mar-14 08:20:33

Thanks all.

The dog comes on the school run with us fairly regulalry - there's a grassed off area outside the school gate where they are permitted to be tied up, so there is no issue from the school's POV.

almaradlu Sun 23-Mar-14 08:33:37

If there is no problem with somewhere to leave the dog, you can only ask and see what they say ;)

NomDeClavier Sun 23-Mar-14 13:32:13

I suspect the costs will be much of a muchness because even if your nanny is less than £10 gross you have to pay holiday etc. You might be able to share with someone who has a FT or after school nanny already.

What is your plan for school holidays?

CannyBagOfTudor Sun 23-Mar-14 13:56:12

Thanks nom, it's a college course and the college holidays mostly tally with the school ones so that's not so much of an issue.

Karoleann Sun 23-Mar-14 14:41:33

I think you'd struggle to find someone reliable (nanny-wise) to do that, especially if you want term time only (and dog walking!).

You may find there is an after school club that can cover 3pm-4pm one day (football or drama or art) and then you only have the one day to find.

The other option is just leaving a bit early from college one day. Most lectures are online now and I can't generally stay that late when I'm at uni.

I'd start with the after school club and then look for a childminder if they are too tired or don't like the after school club.

CannyBagOfTudor Sun 23-Mar-14 17:06:18

Kareoleann - that's interesting about the lectures. The short day is really annoying as lectures finish at 3 and school is about half an hour from college so it's only really half an hour that's needed. I could, in theory ask a friend to have them but wouldn't for a regular thing - I would rather pay someone.

The school don't do any after school clubs for reception DC, unfortunately sad

CannyBagOfTudor Sun 23-Mar-14 17:07:09

re: dog walking - I'd happily pay a nanny over the odds to include that as I wouldn't have to pay for a dog walker to come in if they could.

Karoleann Sun 23-Mar-14 20:59:36

Canny - if that's the case, I would just leave 30 minutes early. If it ends up being a practical session, you'll hopefully have notice and then you can occasionally ask your friend to have them.

No-one has ever said anything when I've left early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now