Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

you know you're a childminder when.....

(23 Posts)
haveyougotanyleechesforthis Fri 21-Mar-14 20:48:59

a random child starts sneezing when you are out and about and you automatically give it a tissue.

you call everyone 'poppet' so you dont get thier names mixed up

you automatically risk assess every activity for all ages and stages of development.

NickNacks Fri 21-Mar-14 20:50:58

You usher 7 children out the school gate and someone says 'you've got your hands full!' and you think 'no, this is an easy day'.

haveyougotanyleechesforthis Fri 21-Mar-14 21:01:35

oh yes nicknacks

closely followed by.....

where's all the kids... on your day off

HSMMaCM Fri 21-Mar-14 21:38:47

You can't walk across a road without thinking how you'd cross with 6 children.

almaradlu Fri 21-Mar-14 21:59:19

You encourage everyone to say thank you - even the husband

Before anyone puts anything in the recyling bin, they have to check with you first if you need that item for crafts

You are still finding specks of glitter even though you may not have touched the stuff since Christmas.

You walk around with paint in your hair because you have walked under the paintings drying on the line and have forgotten they are wet.

Every pocket/bag has a pack of hankies in them

You still buy wet wipes even though your own kids are now teens.

There are arts and crafts drying in every spare space around the house.

When out you are always looking for ideas for the children.

I have had the ''no kids today'' or you have your hands full'' comment as well

HSMMaCM Fri 21-Mar-14 22:41:43

You collect every ribbon and sparkly bit off the Christmas crackers

Nicadooby Sat 22-Mar-14 07:42:39

You spend more time worrying about what the mindee's parents will say when your child sick than you should hmm

Bonkerz Sat 22-Mar-14 08:01:56

You buy presents for minded children because they would love them when on holiday with your own!

looselegs Sat 22-Mar-14 09:50:35

.....you save all the wrappers off Quality Street and Roses chocolates.
....even your hubby and kids ask you if you want any of the recycling before it goes in the bin...
.....there's a collection of yogurt pots in the house to be used as glue pots.....
....the tea towel drawer is also full of bibs......
.....and the cutlery drawer is full of baby spoons......
.......and the cupboard is full of baby bowls and beakers.........there are always toys under the sofa.....

minderjinx Sat 22-Mar-14 09:54:11

You ask your husband and teenage children whether they need to go to the bathroom before you go out!

Tanith Sat 22-Mar-14 13:11:32

You get embarrassingly excited over fire engine sirens and the green man on crossings.

You know exactly what the Hungry Caterpillar ate on Saturday - in order.

You can correctly match colours, special things and antenna to each of the Teletubbies.

Stuff the fridge-freezer: it's the box you're after!!

You always keep the packing peanuts, tissue paper, bubble-wrap, shredded cardboard for sensory play and craft.

Your cupboard is crammed with an extensive range of food colouring, flour, flavourings, flour, oil, salt etc that is almost never used for cooking.

haveyougotanyleechesforthis Sat 22-Mar-14 13:44:17

you wave at aeroplanes, even when you are on your own

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 22-Mar-14 19:11:42

You find bobbles, glittery pink tat and pink dummies all over the house even though you only have boys.

You've stopped correcting old ladies in the street when they think the two kids in your buggy are your twins.

You just get called the childminder at school by all the other kids I have a flipping name

You dream of converting your garage into a totally separate from the house playroom.

You have a sore back from lifting double pushchairs, kids and car seats.

You have to wear sensible footwear hmm

AuntieStella Sat 22-Mar-14 19:17:48

You only cross the road when the green man is showing. Even when alone and there are no moving cars in sight.

haveyougotanyleechesforthis Sat 22-Mar-14 19:25:22

you have a seperate drawer for sharp things

PeedOffMinder Sat 22-Mar-14 19:41:36

You have more pictures of minded children on your phone than of your own family....can get a bit embarrassing when you want to show someone a lovely pic of your children

You automatically close the baby gates after yourself, even when there are no mindees in the house....drives my dh mad

You can't pass 'The Works' or 'Hobbycraft' without going in....happened today and my friend said it must be hard always having to find something for minded children to do. I didn't have the heart to tell her I think I love doing it more than them sometimes

This is a great thread, I hope people read it and realise that childminding is a lifestyle not just a job!

LydiaLunches Sat 22-Mar-14 19:52:37

Lovely thread, I am in awe of dd's CM, she shows me up so badly!

drinkyourmilk Sat 22-Mar-14 20:01:17

Many of these are true for nannies too.
My main one is singing along to 'wheels on the bug's cd in the car. On your day off.

almaradlu Sat 22-Mar-14 20:36:32

Knowing all the actions and words to The Wiggles
Having toilet steps in both bathrooms even though your own kids are teens
Having a huge stock of childrens flannels with those charcters on (they make fab little hand towels)
Two rows of hooks in the bathroom to hang the flannels on
Making an ''oink'' noise when ever anyone mentions Peppa pig lol

haveyougotanyleechesforthis Sat 22-Mar-14 21:30:53

oh yes the demon that is peppa pig!

im really strict and they only have one hour of tv per week, but it is always peppa pig...

but i love her!

haveyougotanyleechesforthis Sun 23-Mar-14 15:33:57

you love when there has been a storm becuase you can then collect pinecones and/or/driftwood

you know where all the conker trees are

MrsPotato Sun 23-Mar-14 20:57:43

You get palpitations when you see a child under 8 wearing shoes with laces

haveyougotanyleechesforthis Sun 23-Mar-14 21:15:14

when you hear a baby crying and a stuggling mum, you want to say, pass the baby over.....

but you dont cos you dont want to upset her any further

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now