Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair arriving tomorrow night. How can we make her feel most welcome?

(10 Posts)
Northlondonma Thu 20-Mar-14 21:47:42

Hi!

Our German au pair arrives tomorrow night! We are all excited to have her here.

Any tips on making her feel most welcome?

Thanks!

mousmous Thu 20-Mar-14 21:50:55

clean, comfy room.
sit down with a cuppa and short introduction then I would let her unpack and go to bed.

Northlondonma Thu 20-Mar-14 22:20:41

Thanks. Am going to put fresh flowers in room and then spend weekend showing her round. Quite nervous buy excited.

Boris13 Thu 20-Mar-14 22:34:52

Make a 'welcome pack'

Names, times, days open and directions.of Places the children like to go to

Local bus, train maps

Drawings / letters from the children saying welcome

Towels, flannels and toiletries

A phone card to enable her to phone home

Some people include a weekly travel card
and a pay as u go phone

Emergency numbers she may need, including urs and husbands work

House keys

I'll keep thinking......smile

Boris13 Thu 20-Mar-14 22:36:37

Directions to school, drop off / pick up times

Email addresses of other things like this site. And AP sites, where she can possibly make friends.....

mousmous Thu 20-Mar-14 22:49:02

oh, and if she's supposed to drive, do a couple of test runs. it's the 'wrong' side of he road for her.
goid luck!

OvertiredandConfused Fri 21-Mar-14 00:56:08

We've found it really helps to talk about the fact that the first few days will be tough. She needs to settle, adjust to speaking English all the time, find her way around your home and get used to your ways - all before she starts taking on duties.

We always make it clear that our au pairs are welcome to be with us or in their room when they're not working and mean it. We ask what sort of food they'd like us to have in for them, especially lunches when they're usually by themselves. Make sure she knows how to get to key places, and not just places she needs to work. Bus / train station, local shops, town, cinema, college etc.

Finally, we always make sure new au pairs have a bit of time in the house alone in the first couple of days and encourage them to poke around, open doors, see if they can operate the oven, hob, dishwasher, washing machine and so on. It's always easier to do that when you aren't being watched. And if she offers to help when you're in the kitchen in the first day or so, emptying the dishwasher is great as it gives chance to find out where things go as you can keep up a running commentary!

Hope that helps. Good luck!

HSMMaCM Fri 21-Mar-14 08:08:57

The welcome pack is a great idea. Make sure your wifi password is in it.

NannyK7H Sat 22-Mar-14 10:30:22

Overtired you sound fab to work for smile

House keys is a definite must. I'm a live in nanny rather than au pair but one family took 5 months to get me my own set of keys. Was horrible!

oscarwilde Tue 25-Mar-14 13:29:36

Her own A-Z
Instructions on how to use the shower/how the hot water works if there are any quirks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now