Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club how to charge for shift workers?

(4 Posts)
Nicadooby Thu 20-Mar-14 21:02:46

Hi everyone, just after a little advise.

One of my mindee's who currently attends 6 hours per day (which is my minimum daily charge) will be changing hours soon due to her mum starting a new job.

The new job is full time but will be shift work as mum will be required to work some weekends. I should think I will have the mindee for a minimum of 3 days per week but could be 5 depending on the shift pattern.

From looking at previous posts it looks a good idea to to set a minimum amount of hours per week to be paid for then top up as and when needed, so my question is how do you decided how many hours to charge for a minimum per week?

And do you think this is the best way to deal with shift workers?

Mum is lovely and i want to be as fair as possible, Thanks x

busyDays Thu 20-Mar-14 23:07:25

You need to work out what is the least amount of money that you are willing to keep the full time space open for, keeping in mind that you could potentially take on a full timer and be paid for 50 hours a week. I have had shift workers in the past and charged for a minimum of 25 hours a week. This suited me as I didn't want to be full every day and I could afford to work part time. Since then my financial situation has changed and I really need to earn as much as possible so I can't afford to take on shift workers anymore.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 21-Mar-14 07:57:26

Prob is if you may have the child 5 days some weeks means they are taking a space up so you couldn't sometimes have another child

I would charge full time - but I'm a nanny - but if a parent wanted me to keep thur/fri free for her then she would need to pay me regardless of used me every week as I wouldn't be able to find work on those days

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 21-Mar-14 10:15:35

I have a similar arrangement and charge full fee for 3 days & half fee for 2 days then invoice each month adding any top-up for 4th/5th days worked. I also only charge my holidays based on a 3 day week as another (albeit small) concession to mum.
I prefer to have just 2 pre-schoolers but have recently taken on a 3rd Thursday & Friday as these are shift workers flexi-days so in reality I only have 3 mindees every other week which is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now