Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Male au pairs

(5 Posts)
TooBusyByHalf Thu 20-Mar-14 19:56:19

Just interviewed a great candidate for ap role in our family. It's only our second ap and the first was a friend of a friend, so this is the first time I've hired one. Have experience hiring nannies from when the kids were younger, so I like to think I know what I'm looking for...

Anyway, the great candidate is a man, so I was just wondering if there anyone has any particular experiences of a male ap. Someone on another thread said they eat more. Any other differences? Positive / negatives? I'm not one for stereotypes and I feel comfortable with the idea, but just wanted to check out others' views. We are a 2 mum family, if that makes any odds, so he'll be the only man in the house.

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 20-Mar-14 23:39:16

Other than shock at the quantity of food consumed by young men, I can't see anything different needed & have only ever heard of positive experiences with male ap's (all 2 that I know wink)

Boris13 Fri 21-Mar-14 10:45:42

How old are your children?

As long as you do all normal checks like references and CRB I don't see the difference.

As it's your first real time looking, make sure you do personally check references, ring them and talk to them.

Also is it possible to do a couple of trial hours here and there over the space of a view days, at different times like pick up, dinner time etc

TooBusyByHalf Fri 21-Mar-14 14:51:48

Boris DD1 is 11, DD2 and DS are 7. Do you think makes a difference? DS and DD2 would love to have a male au pair. Bit worried about DD1, who is hitting puberty already and would probably rather have a big sister than a big brother as it were...

Boris13 Fri 21-Mar-14 20:06:30

With what you have just said, I would try and find a female then, just so Dd1 is happy... Up to you tho! good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now