Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny share salary in London

(8 Posts)
lolamama77 Thu 20-Mar-14 18:42:45

Hello everyone,

I am a nanny (9 years of experience, a child-related diploma, bilingual, and really really cool :D). I had a job interview yesterday fro a nanny share, part time, in central London, with two babies (almost 1 year old).

We forgot to talk about the salary and the families have just sent me an email to ask me how much I would ask per hour. I have worked with twins but never for a nanny share.

I can find anything between £10 net per hour and 12£net per hour (I know we should talk in gross, but can;t find anything about it).

I generally ask for £10 net per hour for one family and honestly would like to ask £11/£12 net per hour. I don't want to ask too much and lose any chance to get the job (or "steal" the families). But I don't want to ask not enough neither. I am always too nice and ask less. Two jobs ago, I ended up working as a Nanny/housekeeper (ironing and silver polishing included) for less than 7 pounds an hour.. )

Anyway. What would be a reasonable rate to ask (the ad said "competitive salary" which means, everything and nothing).

Thank you for you help

Cindy34 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:02:58

15 gross.
Use Gross to Net calculators like www.mranchovy.com/calc to get a feel for what Net would be, though keep in mind personal allowance goes up in April.

Competitive means nothing in my view, would be far better if they just said what they are offering. You are now needing to negotiate.

minipie Thu 20-Mar-14 19:31:19

�12 net is what I was quoted for a nanny share in London last year, and I think that is pretty standard. I certainly wouldn't be surprised or put off if you asked for that. But if you wanted to come in slightly under to give yourself a better chance, then ask for �11.50/net (or whatever that is gross).

It's sometimes hard for employers to know what the going rate is esp if they are first timers, so it's actually easier if the nanny gives a figure! it's not necessarily an attempt to make you negotiate, may just be a reflection of their inexperience.

Boris13 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:39:45

£12 net is going London rate for a nanny share

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 21-Mar-14 10:17:27

I would ask £12.50 net to allow for some negotiation wink

NannyLA Fri 21-Mar-14 10:47:38

I was offered £13 net for a nanny share, 2 babies of under 1 year old .

That is in London.

Bonsoir Fri 21-Mar-14 10:54:09

It's perfectly reasonable to get a premium for doing a nanny share ie each family should expect to pay 60% of what they would if they were paying for a nanny just for their child. You deserve the premium because managing two families' expectations simultaneously requires extra skills.

Yerazig Fri 21-Mar-14 11:05:02

I also have the same amount of years experience as you and I've asked for £13net ph which broken down the parents are getting a very good deal price wise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now