Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can I be a registered childminder and get paid for looking after my grandchildren?

(20 Posts)
Sneezecakesmum Wed 19-Mar-14 22:05:25

One day a week in their home. That's it really!

BlackandGold Wed 19-Mar-14 22:21:58

Wouldn't that be classed as a nanny?

Looby12 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:26:21

Yes as far as I know you can but bear in mind it costs you to register with ofsted and you pay each year I think for a renewed certificate. Plus you'd have to do your tax returns etc.

I'm not sure why you would want to be 'registered' as it's your grand kids you are caring for so you shouldn't need to prove to them the quality of your care.

Cindy34 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:26:54

No.

As care is in their home, not your home, then you would not be classed as a childminder.

In theory you could register as a childminder who uses a premises which is not their own, care for children from several families, some of whom are related to you and some who are not. However this would not be practical to do, imposes burdens on the home owner.

Rethink things - what is it that you are actually trying to achieve?
Nothing to stop a child paying their parent to care for their grandchild. You could be your child's employee. What could not be used would be things like Tax Credits, Childcare Vouchers, and the new Tax Free Childcare scheme (if/when that starts).

Looby12 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:28:05

Unless you are considering the child are vouchers or free care element. In which case the care if being provided by a relative must not be at the child's own home, must be registered and also must be open to other kids not just the family kids.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 22:28:19

No- as has been said, you are not a childminder if you care for a child in his/her own home.

What are you hoping to achieve?

Looby12 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:29:26

You would in effect be a babysitter.

PhoebeMcPeePee Wed 19-Mar-14 23:35:43

You could register with Ofsted as a nanny & be employed by your DD/DS if they want to use childcare vouchers otherwise I can see no benefit to formally registering & you might as well just file a tax return to declare any income.

Sneezecakesmum Thu 20-Mar-14 10:01:46

I was just looking at some payment as it's hard work for me as one of the GCs is disabled and my DD and DSIL don't get any kind of childcare voucher or payment for childcare, despite low income. I would actually give the money back to DD for DGSs additional therapies.

It just doesn't seem fair to me that similar parents are paid vouchers or whatever (no clue!) while so many GPs provide free childcare and save the government so much money.

Looby12 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:29:54

You can't use childcare vouchers if the care is provided by a family member in the childs own home, therefore you would have to take the kids to your house.

You must also be available to provide care to other children.

From HMRC:

Childcare provided by a relative
Qualifying childcare does not include care provided by a relative of the child in the child's own home. This includes relatives who are registered or approved childcare providers. For these purposes a relative means a:

parent

stepparent

foster parent

grandparent

aunt or uncle

brother or sister
whether by blood, half blood, marriage or civil partnership.

Childcare provided by relatives can be qualifying childcare if all
the following circumstances apply:

the relative is a registered or approved childcare provider

the care is provided away from the child's own home

the care is provided to nonrelated children in addition to the related child or children.

nannynick Thu 20-Mar-14 12:45:56

If you were to give the money back to DD then surely it is better not to be paid at all so HMRC do not deduct their share.

Sneezecakesmum Thu 20-Mar-14 15:22:58

Nanny. If they paid me (or DD to pay me) and Hmrc deducted tax we would still have money to pay for DGSs additional non NHS therapies.

Dd would be getting additional money to pay for childcare which she doesn't get at the moment, so it would still be beneficial.

I wonder where the government/country would be if the army of unpaid carers of children and the disabled and elderly all downed tools and refused to work for zero?

And before anyone says grandparents and relatives do it out of duty and love. Yes, they do but not every grandparent or relative does the same so the government finds the money for paid child carers. Just a bit peed off that my time and devotion counts for nothing.

cheekyfunkymonkey Thu 20-Mar-14 15:28:41

Childcare vouchers aren't free childcare, they come out of your wages, you just don't pay tax on them.

nannynick Thu 20-Mar-14 15:37:54

>Dd would be getting additional money to pay for childcare which she doesn't get at the moment, so it would still be beneficial.

Where would that additional money be coming from? Do you mean from Tax Credits? Or perhaps from Direct Payments if the local authority agrees that the child needs additional services. Perhaps post on Special Needs:Children board for more about Direct Payments.

For any money that comes from Government, it has to be used for Approved or Registered care. As a grandparent, you won't be considered as Approved or Registered care, least not if you are only caring for your grandchild.

Yes you are right to be peed off but Governement has to draw the line somewhere. They have defined what is considered to be a Relative and have decided that care by a relative does not count as approved/registered childcare.

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 20-Mar-14 16:46:54

Are you referring to childcare vouchers when you talk about 'additional money'? Because they aren't additional money as such. They are just money which is allowed to be deducted from your salary and given to you tax free (within certain limits, thresholds and tax bandings depending on date commenced). It is a saving, but by allowing you to pay childcare out of gross money not net. The face value of the voucher is not its value to you.

Unfortunately, the government (of the day - I'm not making a party political point here, it applied equally to Labour) is in a difficult situation with family childcare. The vast majority of grandparents choose to give childcare free of payment (save out of pocket expenses). You can imagine that, if you could make a tax saving by paying grandparents and them passing it back to you under the table (which is, I'm afraid and understanding your good intentions, what you would be doing) then the potential for abuse would be huge. And, of course, depending on how your tax status stacks up against theirs, you might not actually gain that much once you had paid income tax on the money (and employer and employee NI for a nanny).

Yes, you are right to be peed off that you can't be paid as a nanny to your grandchild in as tax efficient a manner as a 'normal' nanny, but I can also see that it's a big and quite complex issue to resolve.

Sneezecakesmum Thu 20-Mar-14 22:10:47

Thanks for the info.

I would be looking after the DGSs no matter what but help with some of the additional therapies would have been lovely.

DH and I are going to pay £80 a month for some additional speech and language therapy for the foreseeable future plus the £50 I put away each month for equipment.

SN equipment is phenomenally expensive. £2.5K (yes K!) for a car seat luckily funded by a charity, for instance.

Sometimes I feel I am paying to look after DGS, but it's my choice and I know DD and DSIL are also working their socks off for their boys smile

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 20-Mar-14 22:22:41

It must be incredibly hard. I can't even imagine. Maybe you could get some support on the special needs boards?

PorridgeBrain Sat 22-Mar-14 06:53:31

OP are you looking ahead to the new system the government has proposed when your dd/sil would get the funding? ATM if they are not getting the vouchers , I don't see how it would make a difference

Sneezecakesmum Sat 22-Mar-14 18:01:41

Cheers. We are already SN boarding it grin

Not really sure what we are looking at in a financial way as regards to childcare. But it looks like childminding and nannying is out.

Was just curious to see if there was a bit of financial help available apart from the DLA. I also do a lot of cooking for the DGS, high cal, good quality stuff as DD is busy enough, plus the car journeys to their house every day. Still you do it for love don't you grin

Sneezecakesmum Sat 22-Mar-14 18:02:30

Even though the little horrors give me endless germs for my trouble haha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now