Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any 'New Nanny' settling-in tips

(9 Posts)
Contemplates Wed 19-Mar-14 11:06:30

We have a much needed nanny starting part time soon.

I got wondering if anyone has helpful advice about what makes the settling-in period an easy transition for the Nanny?

I've already prepped the toddler as much as I can and he is excited about meeting her. But I haven't down anything to help nanny settle and so do tell me your thoughts and experiences!

FreeButtonBee Wed 19-Mar-14 11:13:06

Someone recommended to me to do "house rules" - it's a place to write down all the numerous little bits and pieces that make up the bigger picture plus stuff that you might find irritating but too petty to mention!

eg - i have a long bit on food - things I don't like them to have, what if they are having a bad day of eating, messing around, fussy, genuinely don't like something, snacks, water or juice etc

also things like tumble drier use, what can't go in the dishwasher, do you want their stuff ironed, washing toys, babysitting rules, play dates at home (every day okay or only once a week or something), grandparent and family visits - how regularly? will they get time off or still expected to work,

A list of favourite recipes/meals is also very helpful. Particularly if there are some off the wall things!

Oh, another one. Fridge/cupboard rules. Is it a free for all or will you have a way of letting her know if something is earmarked for a meal/visitors/the weekend.

Contemplates Wed 19-Mar-14 11:43:55

Great, that's helpful thanks smile

FreeButtonBee Wed 19-Mar-14 12:08:48

we also have an A4 day to a page diary which we write notes in and our nanny puts down what they ate, how they slept and if any medicines were given (and what time). Also good for documenting eg overtime/babysitting days/holiday/other stuff like doctors appts/dentist/classes etc.

Marylou62 Wed 19-Mar-14 12:19:58

My new MB did all of the above and gave me a list of where things were in house..ie casserole dish in cupboard by cooker...or spare tea towels in drawer in utility... and on the wall by phone, full list of important phone numbers..school/preschool/DRs etc and address and FULL postcode. Good Luck

Marylou62 Wed 19-Mar-14 12:21:04

Oh..and don't forget to thank her and tell her to have a nice day and phone you (if possible) with any worries.

SuperDuperJezebel Wed 19-Mar-14 17:21:43

Don't forget a letter to the GP authorising your nanny to take them for appts, vaccinations as necessary.

FreeButtonBee Wed 19-Mar-14 17:23:25

yes! one for GP and one for in the house in case of an emergency A&E admission. My nanny needed this week 4! We'd only done it the week before but I was very relieved that we had done it.

NannyK7H Wed 19-Mar-14 19:52:30

It's lovely to see a parent thinking about a nanny and how to make their life easier. You sound like you would be lovely to work for. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now