Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny becoming OFSTED registered?

(15 Posts)
ceeveebee Tue 18-Mar-14 15:59:49

I wondered whether anyone could give me an overview of the requirements/costs for a nanny to become registered.

Basically we have a part time nanny for our DTs, and we combine this with nursery on 2 mornings a week. We use nursery vouchers for the nursery fees saving us approx �1200 a year in tax/NI, but I see today that as from 2015 we will be able to claim up to �2000 per child in instead which will save us a lot more - but only if we can use them for our nanny's employment costs (as the nursery "only" costs �4.5k per child per year out of the max of �8k allowed).

Thanks in advance

kalidasa Tue 18-Mar-14 16:15:07

I wouldn't worry about this quite yet because the Tories have got to win the election first! And there's no detail as far as I can see about whether the rebate they're talking about will only be applicable to OFSTED registered nannies (as is the case with childcare vouchers).

ceeveebee Tue 18-Mar-14 16:33:23

I did see in the consultation paper that it would only apply to the same registered childcare providers as current voucher scheme does, so think it will apply only to OFSTED registered nannies. But it is a long way off!

nannynick Tue 18-Mar-14 17:19:39

Maybe worth starting the process.
Nanny needs some training, paediatric first aid, public liability insurance.

Google: Ofsted Childcare Register
Look for the guide to registration on the Childcare Register.

JokersGiggle Tue 18-Mar-14 17:56:55

To be an ofsted reg nanny You need: pead first aid (approx £120 )
Start up Reg fee (£160) but only £35 per year after start up.
Public liability {approx £75) per year
and they will inspect your house and policies like they do with schools. That came as a compete surprise to me and my employer! She got really angry as when she phoned to ask why they said it was so that families with problems couldn't hide behind a nanny.....seems very nosy of them. She choose to cancel our reg.

NomDeClavier Tue 18-Mar-14 18:26:52

Jokers it sound a like you accidentally registered as a CM?

The nanny renewal fee is the same as initial registration, there are no requirements for written policies and they cannot insist on seeing you with your charges or entering your employer's home. If they did do all that you need to complain.

JokersGiggle Tue 18-Mar-14 18:58:54

I initially thought that too but when My employer phoned she was told we have been moved to the same category so standards are the same across the board....... Really confused. If it was a big mistake on their part then we could re register which would make things easier for her.

NomDeClavier Tue 18-Mar-14 19:08:15

That's definitely not right. Registration as a Home Childcarer is completely different and the person she spoke to was talking out of their backside (what a surprise!).

ceeveebee Tue 18-Mar-14 19:52:28

Thanks all - will look into it with a view to starting next year (our nanny may not even be working for us by then, who knows!)

Shosha1 Tue 18-Mar-14 19:55:41

Jokers I was inspected like you ( and I used to be a CM) so knew it was wrong.

Stood my ground and they finally admitted they had inspected me wrong.

The inspector was inspecting me as being on the Voluntary Register as like a CM working with over 8s instead of as a nanny.

JokersGiggle Tue 18-Mar-14 20:02:43

So what reg should I be on?
Thanks for helping me, really appreciate it smile

NomDeClavier Tue 18-Mar-14 20:21:26

Voluntary register as a Home Childcarer.

Cindy34 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:32:30

For recent registrations are Ofsted still using VC instead of EY in the URN or are they only now doing EY?
As a nanny whom registered years ago, I have VC, so clearly different to childminder registration.

Cindy34 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:40:15

Looked up inspection reports, seems that EY is used for everything now.

Cindy34 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:42:51

Jokers - use the inspection report look up system to find your entry. Search on distance from postcode - try entering your work postcode, see if that shows your reg number.
It should then say under provider type: Home Childcarer
If it says Childminder, Home Childcarer then that is wrong and you need to get it changed.

However it may just have been an inspector who did not realise the difference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: