Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM for child with severe Asd (general question)

(13 Posts)
sunnyfriday Mon 10-Mar-14 19:46:48

More of a general enquiry. Dc1 has severe Asd. I am currently at home but would want to go back to work at some point.
Dc1 needs 1:1 at all times.

Would CMs consider a child with such needs? Should I expect a higher rate?

Just wanted to get a rough idea before I start applying jobs & trying to find childcare. I know there are no SN childminders in my area and the lady at the council just told me to ring other CM to find out.


NickNacks Mon 10-Mar-14 19:50:48

What about a nanny? A childminder as a general rule would have other children even if it were there own.

I wouldn't charge more for the ASD but yes if a parent wanted me to keep my ratios down then I would charge for all the spaces. (In reality I would decline for that reason though).

NickNacks Mon 10-Mar-14 19:51:17

Oops! their own

sunnyfriday Mon 10-Mar-14 19:54:10

Makes sense nick. Thanks. This is my worry thouh (higher charge which would be too costy or being turned down). But I see your point

NickNacks Mon 10-Mar-14 20:01:33

If I could afford to work for £2.50ph (my profit per child) then I wouldn't need to work but unfortunately as much as I love cming, I have to make a living.

As I said above , what about a nanny?

sunnyfriday Mon 10-Mar-14 20:11:44

Never thought about a nanny. Will check it out. Thanks.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 10-Mar-14 20:24:01

I don't think a childminder could offer you one to one care unless you were paying a very high rate, a nanny would probably be cheaper.

There is no harm in calling round though. Some childminders don't work to capacity any way and could maybe offer you something.

nannynick Mon 10-Mar-14 21:51:59

For 1:1 you need a nanny/carer.

Do you get Direct Payments to help towards cost of a carer? If you don't know about Direct Payments then I would suggest posting on the Special Needs Children board as there are many mumsnetters on there who could give advice from a parent viewpoint.

veryconfused2 Mon 10-Mar-14 23:11:53

My local authority has a scheme where they cover the difference in cost between normal childminder rate and extra for 1 to 1 care. So normal rate is £3.50 per hour which I pay, the rate for my child is £9.50 per hour and the LA fund the £6 difference. I get about 50 hours support per year which works for me as DS is at school and I work from home so I only need ad hoc care in holidays Contact your family information service and see what they can offer. My DS 's childminder is a normal childminder but she is confident with SEN.

sunnyfriday Tue 11-Mar-14 06:43:05

No direct payments. Applied but turned down.
Family information service cannot help either (only suggested trying to find a CM myself as there is nothing really for children with SN available).

I am looking into.nannies and how much help I would get through the childcare ekement of the TC.

Cindy34 Tue 11-Mar-14 07:56:46

Up to 70% of a fixed amount, depending if you have 1 or more children. WTC2 I think the HMRC leaflet is called. No idea how they work out what percentage you get... Guess it is means tested somehow.

It would require a registered nanny in England, a nanny via an agency in Scotland, an approved nanny in Wales. Not all nannies will be part of the registration scheme.

Karoleann Tue 11-Mar-14 21:52:21

There is a special needs agency called SNAP which might be worth a look.

I have two friends whose children are autistic, one has her child in a special nursery/pre-school and then they have an au pair to pick him up in the evening.
The other's child goes to a special school who pick him up by taxi at 8am and return them at 4.10, she uses one of the teachers at school for holiday cover.

Both have moderate/severe ASD, although I can have child B over to play without a parent and he's been to stay a couple of times (when their second and third siblings were born), and my children are used to him.

Bonkerz Wed 12-Mar-14 20:21:08

My own son goes to a specialist childminder who works with assistants. I pay £10 per hour for this which is a lot but there are high levels of support available.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: