Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Change of hours

(11 Posts)
Victoria2002 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:06:11

My boss has told me he would like to drastically cut my hours. As I have a 3m notice period in my contract, how much notice does he have to give me about major changes like this? If I accept the new reduced hours (and lower salary) I mean. I guess if I don't accept the new conditions then the 3 months comes into play, but what if I do?

Victoria2002 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:06:51

Doh sorry for double post!

eeyore12 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:15:10

I would still expect the 3 months to be the notice period, so if you do accept then either your hours change in 3 months time or they can change straight away but you get paid normal amount for three months then you wages reduce.

nannynick Thu 06-Mar-14 13:38:07

3 months. However consider your working relationship. Things may be very tight for them and in a worse case situation they may not pay you at all and thus you would need to take court action which may be costly.

By drastic cut do you mean 40 hours to 20 hours, worse?

Talk to your employer. Stand your ground for now with regard to notice period though do consider if you will accept reduced hours or need to look for another job.

Victoria2002 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:20:55

Yes 50%. So they if I accept the new hours I don't have to do them/get paid less for 3 months?

eeyore12 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:33:49

I would of said no, that notice period should stand for any changes to your contract not jut leaving.

MrAnchovy Thu 06-Mar-14 17:32:08

It can only be changed if you both agree, but there is no set notice period I am afraid. If you cannot agree on when this is going to happen, the contract can be terminated - and then the 3 months will come into play (along with any statutory redundancy provisions).

nannynick Thu 06-Mar-14 20:21:56

If you accept the new hours they can start from a date you both agree.
If you do not accept the new hours then 3 months notice applies for termination of the current agreement.
So you need to talk with your employer, get a feel for what is behind the change and come to an agreement.
If they are having financial trouble and you do not agree a date for changing hours then there is a risk that they can't pay your current salary during the 3 months notice period.

nannynick Thu 06-Mar-14 20:29:01

From your viewpoint you want current salary for as long as possible.
Your employer wants new salary as soon as possible.
Your employer does not want to make your job redundant.
So you need to find a compromise. Could start with saying change in 3 months, they may say 1 month, you say 2 months and eventually you get to an agreement. If you can't agree then they need to make the 40 hour job redundant. You have refused the 20 hour job so they can offer that to someone else.

Victoria2002 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:50:26

Thanks for all your replies-I have a lot of thinking to do!

NannyK7H Fri 07-Mar-14 19:23:29

Poor you Victoria, hope it sorts itself out x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now