Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Now any one an au pair share?

(6 Posts)
chloeb2002 Wed 05-Mar-14 08:22:21

Ok.. I know people do nanny shares.... Has anyone done an aupair share? We have had au pairs for several years now. With most great success. Now at present I am working more weekends and will soon change to work 2 12 shifts. One night one day. I'm considering not having a au pair and having dh set off to work an hour later and then working a sat or sun when dh is home. A friend however is interested in an au pair share.. Has anyone done this ... Logistically how.. And did it work? Pros and cons please.

Catzenobia Wed 05-Mar-14 08:44:49

As an au pair is live in by definition then I can't see how it would work as they presumably wouldn't be prepared to move homes each week. Therefore, the one the au pair does not live with would be an employer so would be responsible for all employment liabilities, would need to pay minimum wage etc. I can't see how it would work.

chloeb2002 Wed 05-Mar-14 09:22:14

I should add we are in Australia. Different liabilities.. Not governed by minimum wages. Just by visa restrictions. grin

splasheeny Wed 05-Mar-14 11:42:34

Sounds like it is more of a nanny situation. It is certainly not something I have heard off. Are you thinking of your friends children coming to your house?

PlatoonBuffoon Wed 05-Mar-14 11:48:42

We do - with the neighbours. She lives at their house and predominantly looks after their kids, but has ours twice a week after school. Works great - she gets more money and is fully engaged in the lives of two families. We make sure to include her in our family events, social occasions etc as I think this is a vital part of the au pair arrangement - she is a part of the family and loved by us all. I appreciate we are very lucky but it really does work well for us.

chloeb2002 Wed 05-Mar-14 12:50:18

That's kind of what we are thinking. I'm happy to have an au pair continue living with us.. Supply a car to drive.. Full board.. Just as we have always done. I know here some people have student au pairs and they just have board and lodging in exchange for about 15hrs a week. On top of that our friends would then pay her and ask for say 2 days a week. These may be combined with our needs at either home..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now