Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny SSP costs?

(7 Posts)
eightlittlepaws Thu 27-Feb-14 20:34:25

Hi there. We're thinking of hiring a nanny for three days a week. The nanny we're interested in hiring also works for another family the other two days. We've been trying to figure out the hidden costs (such as mileage, smp should the nanny ever she require it - although we know this can be reclaimed).

However, we have also just found out about the changes to the SSP from April on this site. Would both ourselves and the other family be required to pay the £87ish pounds a week should the nanny require any long term sick pay? (She would get paid above the £111 per week threshold from both families). In other words, would the nanny get paid double SSP as she would have two separate part-time jobs or would both families pay on a pro rata basis?

Thanks in advance.

Cindy34 Thu 27-Feb-14 20:37:49

As far as I know, Yes. It is done on a job by job basis, like SMP.

Consider the risk... many nannies, myself included, have rarely taken any sick days and never had any as SSP. However things can happen, through an accident at work, home or on the road, or through ill health.

nexusseven Thu 27-Feb-14 21:01:02

Yes definitely. I am in just this situation. See my post "stealth tax for working parents" elsewhere on this topic. You both will have to pay and no reclaim from April. In my situation I will be paying almost the same in SMP (nearly £90/wk) as I do in salary. For at least 3 months. And having to fund additional childcare.

I know many nannies are incredibly dedicated: but it's the serious illness/operation scenario that is the problem.

slowcomputer Thu 27-Feb-14 21:29:23

I think that the SSP is pro rata for part time jobs . This link suggests that it's a daily rate calculated from the £86 per week

www.payefornannies.co.uk/parents/sick_pay.htm

nexusseven Thu 27-Feb-14 21:36:12

The reference to a daily rate pro rata is simply if you are only paying SSP for less than working week. The rate is still flat at £87/wk So if you employed a nanny for two days a week and s/he had one eligible day off for SSP (following the first three days sick which are not eligible) then you would pay £87/2 = £43.50 per day.

slowcomputer Fri 28-Feb-14 21:10:48

How long do you have to pay it for if she is long term sick? Months, years......?

nannynick Fri 28-Feb-14 22:18:43

28 weeks is maximum, then you give form SSP1 and they claim Employment Support Allowance (which I think is means tested, so if employee has savings over £6000 then that may be taken into account).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now