Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pregnant nanny and redundancy

(5 Posts)
Lukethe3 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:38:43

My nanny is pregnant and is due to go on maternity in May. I have decided that I don't need a nanny any more. Is it fine just to give her notice? I won't be replacing her in any shape or form.
Thanks

readysteady Thu 27-Feb-14 13:41:28

Either way you are still responsible for SMP

2plus1 Thu 27-Feb-14 15:13:37

Yes you can give her notice of redundancy with the notice period being that stated in her contract. Whilst you may have to provide smp it is refunded 105% and you wont be liable for acrued annual leave during maternity leave. Just be sure that you wont be employing another nanny a while! I would also follow some employment law advice just to cover for any potential suggestion of discrimination, ACAS give free advice.

Cindy34 Thu 27-Feb-14 19:44:08

Agree, follow the rules for making a post redundant. ACAS has guides and a helpline.

Are you using a payroll company? If so they can help with calculating redundancy pay, holiday remaining which can be paid, SMP.

Look at statutory payment funding, think that does pay SMP as a lump sum.

Cindy34 Thu 27-Feb-14 19:49:39

Statutory Payment Funding, looks like you can't apply until 4 weeks prior to when you will make first payment to employee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now