Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

sorting childcare following a house move

(6 Posts)
nibbers Wed 26-Feb-14 22:07:42

We have 3 children, 2 at school the youngest not yet at preschool. We currently have a brilliant nanny but the house move means we will need new childcare.
I don't want to have another nanny as our youngest will soon be at preschool. So we will be looking for before/after school care plus holidays, for 2 days a week.
Am I best to look for a childminder? Would this kind of set up interest a childminder? How do you find childcare in a new area. Have always done word of mouth before.
Any help would be brilliant as I have no idea where to start.

Cindy34 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:41:08

Sounds like a childminder may be suitable. Depends if they have the space to take all 3 children. Perhaps look for a childminder close to the school.

Is move distance too far for nanny to consider - guess that is the issue. Lots of change for the children, new school, new childcare, new home. Children adjust, sometimes better than you imagine, though sometimes it can take a while. Good luck with the house move.

Remember to give the nanny a great written reference plus your new contact details so verbal references can be taken up. Plus if nanny has been with you a while, remember to calculate redundancy pay.

nibbers Thu 27-Feb-14 22:24:13

Thanks Cindy. She will get a brilliant reference as she has been brilliant. The whole thing is complicated as she is pregnant - so we will need a change in childcare before the move and then another after the move. Can't avoid it, will just have to deal with it as best as possible. Lots of upheaval for all.
Will look into a childminder, was just unsure how that works with older children and what the cut off in terms of age tends to be.

Cindy34 Thu 27-Feb-14 23:18:36

Depends on age of children, some childminders will happily care for children in pre-teen years and beyond.

Local authority in your new area will have a list of registered childminders. They may be able to email it to you.
Once school places are allocated, you can then look for a childminder who can collect from the school.

As your nanny is pregnant, has your payroll company sorted out SMP? May need to sort out how that works when the position is being made redundant (due to location change, not due to pregnancy).

nibbers Sun 02-Mar-14 18:34:47

I will contact the local authority to see what they have - good childminders get booked up quickly and it takes time to get there and see them.
The nanny payroll people have been very organised and the employment advice from the relevant government websites was helpful - I wanted to make sure my nanny gets everything she is entitled to, but obviously I am paying (apart from SMP) and need to make sure I can afford it. Also wanted to make sure we were both covered from the legal side of things.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 02-Mar-14 19:27:03

The cm is likely to still charge while your youngest is at preschool as will be an under 5 and using a space

May be cheaper to have another nanny by the time you add on before/after school fees for older 2 and full time for holidays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now