Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Moving to NYC need nanny advice!

(6 Posts)
dboug13 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:03:45

Hi - am new to mumsnet and am hoping someone out there can help...
DH and I are moving with our 2-yr old twins to NYC in one month's time, for three months. All very last minute for various reasons.
We need to find a part-time nanny so I can try to hold down my part-time job in London long-distance while we are away. Anyone out there know of good nanny agencies, or have advice on hiring a nanny in NYC?
Thank you so much for any advice! Feeling a bit lost...

Marylou62 Wed 26-Feb-14 17:34:22

Can you take a nanny with you??!!! I'm available!! No seriously maybe taking a nanny with you, if possible will take the stress out of finding one there.They can help on plane and getting settled. Because its such a short period, she could get a visa? Somebody in the know will be along soon to help you. Good luck.

dboug13 Wed 26-Feb-14 18:42:15

Thanks Marylou, unfortunately we can't provide accommodation for a nanny while we're there so can't take anyone with us. I know what you mean though!

nannynick Wed 26-Feb-14 18:48:43

Asked on twitter... no joy yet.

There is a Manny agency in NYC.

I wonder how taxation would work. I think you would need to find out if any agency could also do the payroll and how that would work given you are a visitor to the country, not a resident.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Wed 26-Feb-14 18:55:32

We used to live in NYC.

We used care.com to find (excellent) childcare - my children were school age so we needed after school and school holiday care. Some of our "babysitters" went on to look after babies/toddlers, but still described themselves as babysitters rather than nannies.

nannynicnic Wed 26-Feb-14 19:33:00

There are plenty of Nanny agencys in NYC, we used one last year when we out there for 3 weeks to help me out with my charges on some days. They are often students, or people who work part time that want to look after children on their spare days, and often enough, you can have the same person everytime! Get in touch with a couple and see what they say. I can't remember which one we used exactly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now