Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

termination notice can holiday be included

(10 Posts)
weekendgirl66 Wed 26-Feb-14 09:51:31

A parent has recently given me notice of termination the day before i went on holiday, my question is, does my holiday count as part of the 4 weeks notice or should the 4 weeks commence upon date of return?? hope someone can advise.

nannynick Wed 26-Feb-14 10:25:46

Assuming you are a childminder, your contract will specify notice period for termination. Did you write it yourself? If not, then look carefully at it and contact the organisation that produced it to establish how the term in the contract was determined and if you feel it is reasonable.

Personally, I feel 4 weeks is 4 weeks, regardless of if you are on holiday or not. Sure it may give you a bit less time to fill the space - but you can start advertising the space now and respond to queries upon your return from holiday or whilst you are on holiday if you have phone/email access.

weekendgirl66 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:32:05

Thank you txt notice was given before we went and written has just been received. i just wast sure if it would have to start after my return as it was only given a few hours before we went.

2plus1 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:36:14

The notice period starts the day after being notified, therefore 4weeks notice includes your holiday time.

weekendgirl66 Wed 26-Feb-14 11:07:14

Thank you for your help

HSMMaCM Wed 26-Feb-14 12:27:33

My contracts say notice should not include holiday time, but in practice I would include the holiday if that is what the parents would prefer.

Lucylouby Wed 26-Feb-14 13:32:26

My contract states holiday times shouldn't be included in notice periods, but i would probably just go with four weeks inc holiday just to make it easier. Depends on how much you need the money/relationship with parents/why they are leaving etc I guess.

eeyore12 Wed 26-Feb-14 15:07:48

Again I would include holiday time but I would also only take the four weeks from when written notice was given not verbal in passing which it sounds like it was.

cupcakeandcoffee Wed 26-Feb-14 16:06:03

It's whatever your contract states, & it should be in writing.

In so many instances however, it would be particularly churlish on either side to terminate a contract before or over a holiday period - on the childminder's side, it can be difficult for them to fill the space; on the parent's side, it can be difficult to find a suitable replacement childminder, at what can be at relatively short notice.

On a side issue, we should all be getting away from the idea of having to check e-mails for enquiries during our holidays...we all work hard enough during the working weeks as it is!

weekendgirl66 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:52:42

I have just accepted it, our children are really like sisters and i don't want to damage their friendship in the future as we live very close to each other,, TBH, im looking forward to having a break albeit being broke!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now