Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much do the ofsted reports really matter??

(16 Posts)
babsie007 Tue 25-Feb-14 23:49:39

I have been to meet with a few childminders today and decided to read their ofsted reports.

How much do you think they actually matter??

One of the providers that we spoke to has had to be reassessed on a number of occasions in recent years for failure to meet the criteria. From reading, it wasn't anything serious but was for not keeping an accident book, not having written permission from parents to seek emergency medical treatment and similar offenses (they seemed to have all been administration based and not on her ability to engage with the kids in her care).

I don't want to overreact and loose someone good but I also don't want to take a risk with my daughters welfare.

TwittyMcTwitterson Wed 26-Feb-14 06:00:01

How long has this lady been in childminding? How was the last inspection?

Potentially, it seems a little careless and lax to be missing those sorts of things out. My last childminder before my current was new and her policies were fine but paperwork such as reports and stuff I needed to know weren't hugely forthcoming. I didn't mind because I knew my daughter loved her

Marylou62 Wed 26-Feb-14 08:25:49

I was a childminder before all this paper work and when I thought about going back, it was the paperwork that put me off.(risk assessments to take them to park, in a folder for parents to see!! I have looked after children for 30 + years!!!) I became a nanny instead. No paperwork, just good communication. I was and still am great with kids, keep them safe and tell M & D if there has been any problems in the day. I do write down when they have calpol etc. When I go to visit friends who are CM I cant believe how much 'stuff' they have to do which doesn't impact on their ability to really care for the children. I would say go with your instincts and if she seems caring and as long as you feel you can communicate and ask anything then go for it. On saying all that tho, accident books and parental permission do seem important things.

Dukketeater Wed 26-Feb-14 08:32:03

If they weren't keeping accident records i'd be concerned... Thats a very simple and easy thing to do :/

babsie007 Wed 26-Feb-14 08:52:12

She has been a childminder for 9 years. She did comment on of dyed trying to make then more like nurseries and the amount of paperwork they have to maintain.

Although she wasn't keeping an accident book, the report did note that she was keeping the parents informed of any bumps etc.

Dukketeater Wed 26-Feb-14 09:04:08

9 years... She knows better and is being lazy... Alarm bells ring for me. Its a safety issue she can't be bothered to do the right way.. What else can't she be bothered to do when ofsted or parents aren't around.

You have to go with your instinct but mine says 'runnnnnn'

TwittyMcTwitterson Wed 26-Feb-14 09:47:20

Does sound lazy. Have to say tho, accident book is for her safety more than parents (I was told) so if she is telling the parents it's only her that's missing out... Still not good tho

babsie007 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:16:56

Yes that's what keeps coming into my head - lazy and disorganized!

2 of the reports actually mentioned the same thing too which made me wonder why she wasn't taking it more seriously. One of the other childminders said the ofsted reports don't really mean anything but I guess that's easy to say when you were graded good!

Dukketeater Wed 26-Feb-14 10:18:02

How do you know she does even yell parents?

TwittyMcTwitterson Wed 26-Feb-14 10:31:37

What's this one graded???

babsie007 Wed 26-Feb-14 11:46:37

Very true duk!

She is now graded good, but think it has taken 3 reassessments from foster in the last 2 years to get there.

She initially was graded good but seems she let standards slips and was then graded inadequate...

babsie007 Wed 26-Feb-14 12:14:00

She had 3 inadequates and then her grade of good

TwittyMcTwitterson Wed 26-Feb-14 14:44:34

So she has put the effort in to improve grin still, unless you think she'll be good in ither ways, you may as well get the best you can wink

Dukketeater Wed 26-Feb-14 17:17:03

Good is good of course but i'd just be put off as it seems so lazy!

Marylou62 Wed 26-Feb-14 17:44:20

Babsie007have you read the post 'Make CM exempt from EYFS'? Think that will answer all your questions!!!

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 27-Feb-14 00:09:29

I think Ofsted reports should be taken with a pinch of salt & unless there's serious safeguarding concerns or complaints, I wouldn't let lax admin put you off a good childminder. I'd much rather my child was with someone great with kids than great at paperwork.

Eta I'm an Ofsted cm & was graded good after just a couple of months in business with just 1 PT child in my care. I got the grading because I got my paperwork in order knowing I was due a visit, mindee was an angel during inspection & I put on a good show for the inspector. I am a good cm - I love the children I look after & know they enjoy being with me, but, I my paperwork has slipped & if I had an unannounced inspection tomorrow (shock) I would probably lose my good rating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now