Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny for older children?

(10 Posts)
lapumpkin Tue 25-Feb-14 22:15:12

Hi there,
We are a home-educating family with two DCs (5 yo and nearly 3 yo) who currently go to a fantastic CM for 2 days a week but I'm not sure about keeping the 5 yo with a CM beyond the end of this academic year due to the fact that the other children are all younger.

My question is whether there we might be able to find a nanny who would be interested in looking after older children and being positive about home education and organising fun stuff to do together? Any good places to look? Childcare.co.uk seem mostly to have people interested in younger children and babies, and I have been burnt by agency fees before so would prefer not to have to go to an agency.

Thanks in advance for any help!

OvertiredandConfused Tue 25-Feb-14 23:49:45

Have you considered an au pair? Admittedly we don't home school but our DC, now 10 and 12, have had au pairs for six years. We've had some gems in the form of German girls who are very early twenties, studying to be English teachers and so need to spend 6 months living in the UK.

I find them on au pair world!

apotomak Wed 26-Feb-14 01:14:18

Post a profile on childcare website or nannyjob and be clear about your situation. I'm sure you'll have plenty of applicants.

wadi1983 Wed 26-Feb-14 07:28:36

Where are u based?

Is it just 2 days your looking for?

ConfusedPixie Wed 26-Feb-14 07:34:12

That would suit me To a tee as I prefer jobs that involve older kids, and especially as I intend to home ed my own kids when I have them. There are quote a few families around me in Brighton who do this.

I would consider an ap in a couple more years when your youngest is older for the pair of them, but until then I'm sure you'd find a nanny who would love the role!

ConfusedPixie Wed 26-Feb-14 07:36:09

Only an ap for a day or two a week though, not full time.

lapumpkin Wed 26-Feb-14 11:09:44

We don't have an extra room for an AP to live in, and we don't need someone every day, probably just one or two days a week.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

NomDeClavier Thu 27-Feb-14 07:44:09

I've done something similar to this in the past. There are people who will, but you may need to pay slightly more than a baby/toddler nanny.

wadi1983 Thu 27-Feb-14 08:21:15

where are you based?

SweepTheHalls Thu 27-Feb-14 08:29:41

What about advertising for a teacher to work from your home rather than thinking childcare? Lots of disaffected staff that look for part time in a child centred environment where the personalised needs of the child are put first. Just a thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now