Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM club. Play guns for role play?

(7 Posts)
AfroditeJones Tue 25-Feb-14 17:23:26

Hi. I am just unsure if I should add play guns to my toys collection. Looking after a 3,5 year old who is in the pirate, cowboy phase and keeps doing pretend guns with fingers and other toys....
Sword is not enough for him and apparently not only cowboys but pirates use guns too.

nannynick Tue 25-Feb-14 17:42:30

They will create guns out of other things. Toy guns can look very real these days, so I would avoid them and instead let children use their imagination. How about letting them make their own pirate gun from Duplo/Lego? Or cardboard tubes?

AfroditeJones Tue 25-Feb-14 17:46:30

I know but I am actually doing a diploma level £ in childcare and there is a big emphases now on how children should have 'real' or looking like real props for they imaginative play.

Bettercallsaul1 Tue 25-Feb-14 18:05:37

I would say there's a very good case for making an exception in the case of guns, OP.

wadi1983 Tue 25-Feb-14 18:42:17

There is props and there are guns...

No way, hate them!!!

busyDays Tue 25-Feb-14 18:58:43

No, I wouldn't have toy guns although I do have a couple of water pistols in the garden for summer fun, but they look more like brightly coloured garish toys than guns.

nannynick Tue 25-Feb-14 19:07:35

If he has to have a gun, use a water pistol. Bright coloured one, so could be a Space Gun, as well as for pirates, cowboys.
If his parents want to buy him a gun that looks real, up to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now