Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need a 'sort of' au pair

(5 Posts)
sami99 Tue 25-Feb-14 15:43:31

Hi

My dd is 14 and a half. I am a single parent. I'm hoping soon to start a new job where occasionally I'll need to work late-ish. Could be times when I won't be home until 9 or 10. In addition, I'm trying to build more of a social life for myself and would like the ability to go out once in a while.

My dd is sensible and has said she doesn't mind being home alone in the evenings sometimes. In fact she quite likes the idea. We live in a safe area, surrounded by friendly neighbours. I'm not entirely comfortable about leaving her alone, particularly if I'm not going to be back until after 10. Not sure if I am being overly protective... when I was 14 I'm pretty sure I was already babysitting, let alone being babysat.

Anyway I have a spare room and was thinking about letting it out to, say, a foreign student at a reduced rent on the basis that she keeps my dd company on x no of evenings per week. Does anyone do similar and are there any websites where this type of arrangement can be set up? Thanks.

nannynick Tue 25-Feb-14 17:43:16

Sounds like it could suit a student. Are you in a University town?

YouAreTalkingRubbish Tue 25-Feb-14 17:48:13

This sounds like a good plan. You might be able to get a student who only stays during the week and goes home at the weekend.

northlondoncat Sun 02-Mar-14 21:18:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

northlondoncat Sun 02-Mar-14 21:19:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now