Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Maternity Nurse training

(12 Posts)
ElizaMB Tue 25-Feb-14 01:19:09

I am currently working as a nanny/housekeeper for two families - but my husband is retiring next year and I would like to have a more 'flexible' lifestyle and not be tied down to regular hours. I am thinking of taking a maternity nurse course so I could take two or three jobs a year and possibly some temporary and emergency Nanny work.
Is any one course better than others? Is it worth taking the course? And - mothers - would you employ a more - er - 'mature' maternity nurse?

NomDeClavier Tue 25-Feb-14 19:49:22

Doing the course won't hurt. Agencies quite like to see it but obviously solid newborn experience is much more important. I think parents do employ more mature MNs, there's something innately comforting about having an older female around and younger candidates don't tend to be so flexible (thinking twenties rather than forties when I say younger!).

ElizaMB Tue 25-Feb-14 21:36:23

Thanks Nom - was just trying to weigh the cost versus benefits - as hopefully I only need to work for about another three years, but we want the flexibility as we want to go travelling before we get too decrepit.

mrswishywashy Tue 25-Feb-14 22:40:45

Not sure how it would work if you take breaks and haven't MNed before as agencies like to see how you work and also need to have a good amount of references. Depending on where you live you could maybe pick up more night nanny work.

The main training is either MNT or NEST both very similar. I'm MNT but also had plenty of new born experience. You really need to know plenty about bfing as well to support new mums.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 26-Feb-14 06:17:17

Although mt do a fantastic job I don't get why people want to do it as the money side is so low

Average where I am is £150/180 gross maybe £200 gross per 24hrs if very lucky

Financially it works far better for me to work as a nanny daily 11/12hrs and then night nanny 9/7 and help new mums get baby/babies (love doing twins) into a routine and sleeping through

Age isn't an issue but agree that you need plenty of new born exp or you won't get a look in

Know everyone has to start somewhere but not many mums unless say 3rd child are going to want a very newly qual/no exp mn looking after their new baby - tho you could go in at a very low price for a few times to secure a possible booking

mrswishywashy Wed 26-Feb-14 08:56:11

It's dependent on where you live I'm in a part of England where there is no need for nannies and for me MN financially works, it probably helps that I'm at top of pay scale which after 8 years I've earnt. It means I've been able to cut back from working six days per week to an average of 4 days and also do a mix of days and nights. I've never done it for the money though more to help the new parents and the babies and will only be doing it for another year or less (if fertility treatment works) and I can look after my own bb.

Op it might be worth looking into temp nanny positions as you've got the experience there.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 26-Feb-14 11:07:21

Where as my area has lots of nanny jobs and mn ones

Fab you can cut back on hours mrs ww - doing 24/6 is hard and good luck with ivf (same problem) sad sucks doesn't it x

mrswishywashy Wed 26-Feb-14 13:53:00

Blondes - it is very difficult after so many years of looking after others babies and children to struggle to have one of our own. Treatments are out there bit expensive especially as I'm not eligible for funding as I'm 35 and our PCT stops funding those 35 and over. Will try a couple of iuis and private clinic here but otherwise will look overseas for IVF. Absolutely gutted that its so difficult and makes it all the harder being around New borns all the time.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 26-Feb-14 14:10:09

I would have had funding with my dh and was on nhs list but he sadly died almost 3yrs ago - and now my new partner has children (all in 20's) so don't qualify anymore sad

Totally sucks so we are saving for ivf - tho age is against me sad

Love my job and helping those with new borns and having squishy cuddles but also hard - feel free if you want to message me to chat

Sorry op - slight sidetrack

ElizaMB Wed 26-Feb-14 23:38:25

hijack all you want - and hope you both get babies of your own. (if you need a maternity nurse...!)
I have had one job with newborns, one of my current employers is expecting a baby in March. Also my best friend is a midwife and suggested I go on a voluntary breastfeeding support course. so that would give me training and experience there. It's the flexibility more than the money that appeals, as well as the baby cuddles! (blondes, I have name changed, we met last year, we shared the same twins and had pizza together! would be good to meet up again)

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Feb-14 23:42:40

Weirdly enough I did wonder if this was you as of how you described yourself as 'cough' older and hubby retiring soon smile

Be lovely to meet up again. Will send you a message

So yes in our area you could find a lot of work as a night nanny or mn smile

ElizaMB Fri 28-Feb-14 11:42:10

Yep, nearly 93 now! I am going to go for it. Look forward to hearing from you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now