Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder with 2 kids under 1 year old?

(12 Posts)
babsie007 Mon 24-Feb-14 13:17:48

I am in England.

My daughter is 4 weeks old today and I am returning to work in 5 weeks time so tomorrow we have some meetings organised with childminders.

One of the ladies I am meeting with is currently 6 months pregnant with her own baby that she will be caring for full time... Plus also mine f we went with her? She also has 2 older kids of her own (I'm not sure yet if she minds any others).

I am obviously concerned anyway that she is pregnant and what continuity of care that would mean for my lo, but I'm a little uncertain on he logistics of looking after two babies and how this would work for going on outings etc?

What are the current rules on how many kids they can have and what ages? It would be useful to know this for tomorrow - we are meeting 4 but I have concerns on 2 of them.

NickNacks Mon 24-Feb-14 13:26:43

Technically she would be fine. She can self variate for continuity of care to your child once hers comes along. This must keep her full numbers of no more than 6 under 8 though.

What will you do during her maternity leave though?

The rules and regs are basically 6 under 8, no More than 3 of those in the early years, with only one of those under 1.

BUT there are so many acceptable changes and permutations that don't assume they are over minding if they don't conform to this.

Waggamamma Mon 24-Feb-14 13:27:24

I'm not a cm but as far as I know they can only have 1 under 1. They may be able to apply to Ofsted for an exception.

I would be asking how much maternity leave she plans to take, because this could leave you with an extended period without childcare and having to sort alternative arrangements?

Also looking after your 5month old and her own newborn (have I calculated the age gap correctly) will be tough going, will she be able to cope? Particularly as likely to be sleep deprived herself and juggling the school run for older children. Does she have a double buggy and car big enough to transport them with appropriate car seats? What if both babies demand her attention at same time?

NickNacks Mon 24-Feb-14 13:28:22

Applying to OFSTED is no longer necessary from September 2012.

babsie007 Mon 24-Feb-14 13:32:14

Well she reckons that she isn't taking any mat leave - but to me, she has no idea what kind of birth she will have and how fit and able she will feel following the birth. And do I want my baby being cared for by someone at the end of their tether from sleepless nights?!

I need to check the pram/cat seat scenario tomorrow. I really like her so far but this is a major concern for me. I know how demanding my little girl can be and with a newborn in tow too, I just wonder how anyone would be capable?

apotomak Mon 24-Feb-14 14:00:03

The more children you have the easier it becomes. Just as an example ... I gave birth to my second daughter at 9am and I was home by 11am and on the school run at 3pm to collect my eldest one from school. The consecutive children just fit in with whatever you're already doing. I think she'll be capable to look after two under 1s. Even if her baby needs lots of cuddles she can put it in a sling and still be able to look after yours.
Another example .... I regularly have 16 children for tea (I work with another childminder) everyone asks how we manage. I always answer we manage very well. It's a very well organised operation and with a little thought anybody else would be capable too. Do not underestimate her just because it may seem difficult to you. Saying that go with your gut feeling but as you've already said you really like her.
Car seats and pushchairs are tools of the trade and she should be providing those.

Lucylouby Mon 24-Feb-14 14:14:00

I have met several cm who only took a few weeks maternity leave. I think the law states you are not to work within two weeks of giving birth, but after that its up to you. I a cm. Personally I took the maximum period I was entitled too. With dc 3, I went back to work when she was 7 months old and cm a 12 month old. It was hard going in the beginning, they are now 3 and it is lovely, they get on really well and play together really well but those early months were hard. Sleep deprived, never getting a break as the babies didn't nap together etc. I nannied for twins and that was easier as they were both at the same stage, but a 5 month age gap will be hard.
Is she already a cm? Does she have lots of experience with children or is she new to cm and thinking it will be a doodle looking after multiple children?
Ofsted would say this is fine, so it's up to you to decide if you are happy with the situation. Cm baby might be a really easy baby, be happy all day, sleep all night and it will all be fine. But some newborns can be very demanding and need a lot of time and your dc might not get the attention they deserve because of this.

babsie007 Mon 24-Feb-14 14:28:20

She's already an experienced cm and their home seems very well equipped for both indoor and outdoor play. I guess I will have to go with my gut feeling tomorrow from the 4 we are meeting with.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 24-Feb-14 23:35:28

I wouldn't use her to be honest, not if there are other options available.

It's doable, but I don't think it will be easy. Your baby will be very young and I assume you want a hassle free return to work. It just seems unnecessarily problematic; heavily pregnant, then on maternity leave and then tired with a newborn. She'd have to be out of this world amazing for me to choose her over someone who isn't 6 months pregnant.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 25-Feb-14 11:50:57

I agree with outraged

PeedOffMinder Tue 25-Feb-14 12:24:11

I also agree with outraged. Yes it is doable, and there may be no problems. But why risk it?

babsie007 Tue 25-Feb-14 21:21:47

Yes I agree - I do think its risky, although she could be capable of doing it if she had an easy pregnancy and labour, no one can predict any medical problems they might have or if they will need an emergency c section etc.

Need to discuss with dh tonight but I think we are going to go with one of the other cms we met today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now