Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Three days a week but which three days?

(29 Posts)
flowerlady46 Mon 24-Feb-14 10:21:50

Hi there

I'll be going back to work three days a week after Easter and my 10 month old son will be looked after by a childminder.

My work are very flexible about which three days I do and the only one I have to be there for is Wednesday.

Does anyone have any advice on which three days I should do particularly with regard to my baby feeling happy and settled and understanding our routine?

At the moment I'm looking at Monday, Wednesday and Friday but I'm concerned that that may feel disruptive for him at the beginning?

Or perhaps I'm over thinking this and he'll get used to whatever we put in place!

Many thanks in advance.

pussycatdoll Mon 24-Feb-14 10:24:54

Personally I'd do Monday Wednesday & Friday because I need the break & I think your baby will enjoy downtime with you

But the majority will say Tuesday Wednesday & Thursday because they like a long weekend

HarderToKidnap Mon 24-Feb-14 10:26:28

I'd cluster your days so you do three in a row. Better for weekends away, and try and work Mondays so you get bank hols off! If you stagger days, ime, you never have down time. The day off is spent catching up from the day before, and every night becomes either you getting in from work and winding down or getting him ready for the next day, everything is a bit more hectic. It's nicer for him too, i think, rather than everyday being different.

IslaValargeone Mon 24-Feb-14 10:26:47

I'd opt for the long weekend and do Tues/Wed/Thurs.

LakeOfDreams Mon 24-Feb-14 10:31:11

Just bear in mind if you do Mondays the childminder often won't work bank holidays. I guess this doesn't matter if you get them off but if you'd have to work it'd be annoying.

pussycatdoll Mon 24-Feb-14 10:33:40

You see I wouldn't work Monday's if possible only because you end up having to pay back leave because of the bank holiday Monday's

OldBeanbagz Mon 24-Feb-14 10:35:46

I'd do Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday because i'd like a long weekend every weekend. Plus if you're paying a set fee to childminder by the month, you won't end up paying for Bank Holidays.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 24-Feb-14 10:39:23

Im a nanny I work mon, tues and thurs.

Ive done different variations of the 3 days over the years and both my boss and I prefer this one, it means we still get a long weekend and only ever work 2 days before getting a day off.

The children havent really minded any of the variations

Middleagedmotheroftwo Mon 24-Feb-14 10:44:39

1. Mon, Tues, Wed
2. Tues, Wed, Thur
3. Wed, Thur, Fri

That way you will have continuity in work and DC will have continuity of child care.

From experience, if you take days off one at a time, you'll use them to catch up on shopping and housework, not for quality time with DC.

hyperspacebug Mon 24-Feb-14 11:05:50

I think most don't like working Fridays so they can have long weekends.

I work 3 days a week, but I don't like working 3 days in row (at first because of wanting to keep my breastfeeding relationship, then I found I liked not having 4 days of non-stop childcare in row)

so its Mon, Wed, Thu for me.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Feb-14 13:50:43

No mention of having a partner. Assuming you are not a single mum, then you need to look at what your partner works... could they do a day of looking after their child?

Think long term, consider what days may be better once child starts school - such as always being able to take them on Monday morning, Collect them on Friday afternoon.

Personally I would do a block, Tue-Thurs, or Wed-Fri.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Feb-14 13:52:58

Consider your bodyclock, it will get used to getting you up at a certain time. When I have a day off mid-week, I find myself waking up as though it was a work day.

A lay in may be unthinkable at this babystage but as children get older, then a slow start to the day may be possible.

TeacupDrama Mon 24-Feb-14 14:06:07

do not do mondays as it will use up more of your annual leave
of the eight public holidays 4 are always mondays and christmas /new year is officially a monday if the 25th/1st is actually a saturday, sunday or monday ( also boxing day is a monday if christmas was friday) so 50-75% of public holidays are mondays

it does not mean you get less holiday just less free choice

if you get 5 weeks holiday plus 8 if work full time (33) you get 25 to choice and 8 compulsory

working 3 days a week 33 becomes 19.8 call it 20
if you work mondays 6 of these 20 could be compulsory leaving you 14 for rest of the year
however if you work tuesday-thursday the max that will ever be bank holidays is 3 and only if christmas is tues/wed/thurs some years none of the 20 would be bank holidays

i would definitely take mondays off and either work 3 in a row or 2 and 1 you have to do wed so my choices would be in this order

1, tues,wed,thurs
2 wed, thurs, fri
3, tues, wed, fri

hyperspacebug Mon 24-Feb-14 14:20:43

Is my company unusual in not pro-rating Bank Holidays?
I mean, I have 15 annual leave days PLUS all Bank Holidays. I thought Bank Holidays are 3/5 pro-rated but it turned out they weren't and I really get all bank holidays off. Paid.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Feb-14 16:00:34

May depend how they calculate holiday. Entitlement can be better than statutory minimum but not worse.

How much holiday would a full timer get? Minimum is 28 days, some companies may offer more. If they offer more then they may pro-rata that for part-timers.

RestingActress Mon 24-Feb-14 16:06:08

I did Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (my bosses choice) but not having the Monday morning feeling was nice, and knowing that I only had to do two days and then I could have a day off on Thursday made it do-able.

TeacupDrama Mon 24-Feb-14 16:08:19

terms and conditions should not be worse or better for part time staff

minimum is 20 days plus 8 public holidays pro-rata total 28,

public holidays can be viewed differently if you work 50% you would get 10 days 4 public but if you worked mondys and 5 were public that year you would owe them a day of normal holiday to cover the 5th monday

hyperspacebug very lucky keep quiet as you do not want a full timer complaining

MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 24-Feb-14 16:09:45

Tues wed thur

PuppyMonkey Mon 24-Feb-14 16:13:04

I used to work Tues, Weds and Thurs and it was nice doing it like that not just for the 4-day weekend but also for the continuity at work - tried combinations like Mo, Wed and Fri and I ended up having to dump quite a bit on other colleagues because something was urgent and needed doing in, say, 48 hours.

I got bank hols pro rata'd - much better cos it added up to more than a week on top of annual leave.

NickNacks Mon 24-Feb-14 16:20:08

I see you've said work are very flexible but what about your cm- she might have limited availability or preference.

Bagoffrogs Mon 24-Feb-14 16:50:39

I used to work Mon, Tues, Wed but by Thursday was exhausted having compressed 25 hours into 3 days. I also struggled with the amount of time I had at home from thurs to sun and would be desperate for a bit of peace by Monday. My new arrangement of mon, wed, suits much better. I can catch up with odd bits of washing on a Tuesday rather than having to spend half the day doing it on Thursday and DD2 enjoys the downtime in between busy days.

Tanith Mon 24-Feb-14 17:49:39

Fridays are often very quiet because parents want the long weekend. If you'd like your baby to have a quieter day with his childminder, that might be the best option. You can always apply to change days at a later stage.

Tanith Mon 24-Feb-14 17:50:30

And definitely, I think consecutive days are preferable.

hyperspacebug Mon 24-Feb-14 17:55:09

That's strange - my company is actually stringy (no maternity package beyond SMP and all government minimum for everything). I do think they just haven't got round to reviewing the amount of bank holidays for part-timers.

hyperspacebug Mon 24-Feb-14 17:59:34

And, OP, whatever works for you, really. You can later request to change the working days if childminder is ok.

I've done both - consecutive and non-consecutive, no obvious winner really. Non-consecutive is good - break between work and getting errands done, consecutive is good as it can mean my mind is more into work and my colleagues don't have to wait over 48hrs for reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now