Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny working hours...

(20 Posts)
barewith Fri 21-Feb-14 14:34:06

I am looking to return to Nannying...and I am somewhat shocked at the very long hours expected from potential employers.....for what can initially seem a reasonable salary....but once broken down ...barley seems to be at the minimum wage.

BonaDea Fri 21-Feb-14 14:35:17

Don't most nannies earn by the hour though? When we recently hired all three agencies we went to told me there was an expected net hourly rate...

barewith Fri 21-Feb-14 14:49:04

It seens to vary across the board. I know that a employer is encouraged to agree a GROSS rather than NET salarly.. and salaries do vary in different parts of the country.
My point is that majority of posts seem to require at least 50hrs if not 60hrs per week...and the positions are advertised at let say 21k gross...that breaks down to about 400 per week gross....which again doesnt sound too bad ... its when you then break it down to an hourly rate it then becomes less attractive...55hrs at �7.40 ish ...gross.

slowcomputer Fri 21-Feb-14 15:03:34

Where are you working? Standard in London is £10 per hour net which grosses up to about £12-13 gross. My two day a week nanny costs me £1300 a month including all taxes, NI etc

Zhx3 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:05:37

My nanny is on a regular 43h per week at the moment (we have 2 in primary school, one toddler), 3 full and 2 half days during term time, and 4 full days in school hols. We combine with a couple of days at nursery so that she doesn't have to work longer hours. She is paid within the guideline range for our area (much more tha �7.40, but that is roughly what she was getting in her last job).

When we don't have children all over the place, and when I've adjusted my working hours a bit, I'm planning on moving her to 37-38h per week, but this will be roughly 50h per week during term time, then 17h per week during the school holidays. I will increase her hourly wage to go someway to making up the shortfall in hours, but on an annual basis, it will be less. I hope that she finds this acceptable, as I don't want to lose her!

Unexpected Fri 21-Feb-14 15:25:35

Many nannies do work, and expect to work,long hours though. It tends to come with the job. The nanny hours have to be long enough to cover their employer's working hours (often long in themselves) plus commuting time which can add a few more hours on the day sometimes. Which area of the country are you looking in? If you don't want to have such long hours, can you consider combining perhaps a morning-only job with an after-school one or something? What kind of hours were you working when a nanny previously?

Poloholo Fri 21-Feb-14 15:29:26

FT nanny jobs will inevitably be long hours due to parent hours plus their commuting time. There are shorter hour jobs but less. If you're looking at 21k for 55 hours then you can't be in London, you'd be looking at a lot more there if you are highly experienced.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 21-Feb-14 16:32:14

how long have you not been nannying

and at £400 gross, the wage is still way over nmw of £6ish

hours are long,as often employer has a 8/9hr day and maybe 1/1.5hrs travel each way

nannynick Fri 21-Feb-14 16:52:46

£7.40 seems quite low but it depends on area and on experience. You are looking to return to nannying, so you have some prior experience, so you need to decide if the salary on offer is the salary for which you be prepared to work.

Full time nanny jobs can easily be 50 hours+ Part time nanny jobs will vary a lot.

Have you considered looking at 4 day a week jobs? Those will be 40 ish hours a week, pay could be 17k upwards (depending on location). As the hours are similar to full time hours in other sectors, you can compare the salary easier with non-nannying jobs.

Long hours are part of the job for most nannies. Most nannies are working what their employer works plus their employers commute time.

eurycantha Fri 21-Feb-14 18:36:20

I do three long twelve hour days 7to7 with one family and an 8 hour day and three hour day with another family.many nannies I know do 4 days a week.We expect to do long hours.Waves to Blondes.

nbee84 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:49:04

I like the fact that the working days are long - it means I can work a 4 day week for a full time wage and have 3 day weekends smile

barewith Fri 21-Feb-14 19:16:09

thank-you for your comments
I totally understand the long working hours ...due to parents working and commute etc, and except that a 50hr week is the norm. salaries do also vary greatly.

barewith Fri 21-Feb-14 19:18:14

My favourite advert so far has been for a Nanny/Housekeeper/Mothers help/Groom....55hrs plus 2 nights baby sitting

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 21-Feb-14 20:29:12

Are you looking on gumtree or through agencies?

nannynick Fri 21-Feb-14 20:35:25

Are you looking at live in? Live-in hours can be long. Any live out jobs in your area?

Artandco Fri 21-Feb-14 20:41:22

Where are you looking? The agencies seem to be advertising quite reasonable atm.

£13-16 gross per hr here depending on what/ where exactly. More for maternity night nanny/ temp/ part time

HandMini Sat 22-Feb-14 10:27:20

Our nanny does 4 x 11 hour days. Yes, the hours are long. I think many nannies don't work a full 5 day week for that reason. I agree with around £10ph for a London nanny. We pay ours £11ph due to her 25 years experience and the fact she's been with us a long time.

slowcomputer Sat 22-Feb-14 10:46:25

are you looking live in or out? hourly rate for live in is always lower, as you are getting accommodation thrown in.

Contemplates Sat 22-Feb-14 11:00:33

Funny, when I was looking into help through local agencies it seemed that no one was prepared to do part time for me, it seemed to be 12 hour shifts or nothing!

hyperspacebug Mon 24-Feb-14 10:54:29

Contemplates, it's better to ask some local mums groups if you are in London. They often would have nannies (who I don't expect to be with agencies) who fancy extra hours - I'd expect faster results that way. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now