Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Going-rate gross hourly rate for p/t nanny in SW london?

(11 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Thu 20-Feb-14 05:38:18

I was hoping £12.50 would be enough...? Or is £13 more reasonable? I would love someone experienced and/or with good nannying qualifications so I want to offer a good rate for a good candidate IYSWIM.

It's only a few hours a week I'm offering though, ideally three mornings or 1.5 days if I can't get anyone for mornings. Probably 12 hours in total.

I know after-school nannies generally earn more (?) than p/t ones for other periods, presumably because of demand. But hoping that the fact I am offering mornings will appeal to someone who has school age children or charges.

Also, for the nanny experts... If I am offering the nanny £12.50 gross, what other extra costs will I have (even one-offs)? Liability insurance? Any ideas roughly what that might be? Anything else?

Thank you!!

emeraldgirl1 Thu 20-Feb-14 05:58:27

Oh I have forgotten about employers NI, haven't I!? Is this likely to come in at under 1k for a year...?
Hmm, might need to be offering a bit less gross rate! Not sure we can afford more than £12...

emeraldgirl1 Thu 20-Feb-14 06:24:21

Or would the gross rate I offer INCLUDE my employer's (as well as obv employee's) NI? Arrrgh am so confused...

Basically we can afford to pay £160 per week in total (can add liability insurance as a one off cost no problem) for 12h of childcare. Just trying to work out the max gross salary I can offer on that budget. That budget would have to include my NI as well as nanny's.

I know a CM would be easier but for various complicated and boring reasons I'd rather try to find a nanny.

Cindy34 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:44:06

Gross rates Does Not include Employers NI. That is a cost you have on top. It is a cost based on the amount paid in the particular job, so use a PAYE calculator to get a feel for what that is likely to be.

Employers liability insurance may be part of your Home Contents insurance policy, check the wording. If it is not included then your insurer may be able to add it for an additional premium, alternatively there are some insurance providers who do it separately - think around 100 a year, will look it up.

Cindy34 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:48:44

[[ Enable Insurance does Employers Liability for 99 a year.

Cindy34 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:50:52

Enable Insurance

Another provider is Morton Michel, policy costs more... here.

Probably best to look at policy summaries to compare them.

Playdoughcaterpillar Thu 20-Feb-14 07:54:17

I think 12 is fine, we pay about that for our experienced and qualified,also sw London.
Don't start too high as many will expect a yearly pay rise!

Cindy34 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:55:01

Other costs to consider:

Nanny Payroll (producing payslips, reporting to HMRC)... From 100 a year.

Activity budget

Mileage payments if nanny uses their car, or cost of using public transport. Only journeys done with/on behalf of you/your children. Not travel to/from place of work.

Factor in that pay is all year round - you must provide statutory holiday entitlement. If you go on holiday more than your nannies holiday entitlement, you will still need to pay nanny.

emeraldgirl1 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:18:15

Thanks so much Cindy! Really appreciate it! Yep, have factored in the 'hidden' costs such as activities, payroll...

Also yep, have factored in holiday costs.

Playdough, thank you, will start out offering £12 and see what response I get. Am probably going to use an agency unless I find someone another way, I just feel happier having someone else do the checks etc though of course I will follow up myself.

nannynick Thu 20-Feb-14 09:32:49

It is great that you are calculating costs. I agree, once you work out figures then offer a bit below so you have room for a rise. See who you get for the salary. If no candidates suitable then lookat other options like childminders.

emeraldgirl1 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:41:01

nannynick, I've been reading some of your advice on here for a while, hence my budget-planning smile
Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now