Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

would you be concerned?

(12 Posts)
Sourpickles Sun 16-Feb-14 17:14:49

I've had a job offer from a nice family, due to start in a few months. I will be their first nanny.

Im beginning to feel a bit worried about their lack of knowledge in employing someone.

They've asked why they have to pay for ofsted. .. if I will supply the contract. .. and other various Qs. I've repeatedly mentioned payroll companies but obviously this hasn't been explored yet.

I found them via word if mouth apposed to an agency and beginning to worry I'm turning other interview opportunity away thinking I've secured a position worrying they'll walk away.

nannynick Sun 16-Feb-14 17:28:34

Yes it is concerning but everyone needs to start somewhere.

Contact them again asking which payroll company they have signed up with - give them details of say 3 companies of varying prices. Tell them that the payroll company will help create a contract if they need help and that you want to see the contract prior to starting work.

Make sure you have agreed a Gross salary and that you have discussed with them about holiday entitlement and reminded them that they still need to pay you when you are on holiday.

Ofsted is questionable - if they wanted someone already registered and you are not registered, then it is reasonable for it to be your cost. If they wanted someone, agreed to have you, then told you they needed Ofsted registered, then fair that they pay towards it.

Sourpickles Sun 16-Feb-14 17:45:54

they were fine when I explained ofsted- However I do disagree, I have always been honest if im not currently registered but I would never pay for this myself. Its a hassle for me being paid in vouchers and holds no benefit to me at all. All agencies ive worked with have insisted its not my responsibility to pay for.

I've said I'll need to see and sign a contract stating start date before I will start OFSTED process. Informed them of prebooked holiday though maybe I need to check they realise I.e paying. I've also suggested two payroll companies, Maybe I need to call them and confirm everything again.. thanks for input. I'm trying to guide and be understanding but its making me a bit anxious.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 16-Feb-14 19:23:28

It would really worry me tbh. Everyone has to start somewhere, but surely they're capable of googling or using a forum like this to find out what they need to know?! An employer who is relying on their employee to deal with everything is going to be trouble imo.

Karoleann Sun 16-Feb-14 20:56:29

I'd actually email them with clickable links to a couple of nanny payroll providers.

You could also confirm your holiday dates at the same time.

Hopefully, they're just very busy and a bit clueless and they'll make very easy bosses!

Personally, if I'd advertised for someone who was OFSTED registered and they weren't, I would only offer to pay half. They could easily pay your full registration costs and you could leave within a couple of months.

Sourpickles Mon 17-Feb-14 07:45:33

hmm interesting responses re ofsted.

I should say I am very reasonable and if I left for any reason I would be decent enough to reimburse their ofsted fee.

This said, because they want me registered im now having to pay £52 for a new dbs (other is a year old) because I got married and changed my name!

NomDeClavier Mon 17-Feb-14 11:47:33

You need a new DBS to register anyway and tgem paying is a taxable benefit which makes it sound complicated.

I would be more concerned by their lack of interest than their ignorance. I agree that sending links to payroll agencies and possibly something like this so they can get an idea of what to do.

TheScience Mon 17-Feb-14 12:00:55

I'd be worried that if you are already having to send them links to payroll companies, how lazy/disinterested are they going to be as employers?

Sourpickles Mon 17-Feb-14 17:34:35

Hmm. I think im going to have to voice my concerns, aren't I.

I don't think it's laziness. . they're not in the sort of professions that would indicate that. I think my main worry is that they don't fully under that they are an employer and the responsibility that comes with that.

bluerghh

bellabells1 Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:19

Sourpickles.... agreed.

i paid half my ofsted reg which i didn't mind but my boss sorted payroll and contract, tax ect.

NomDeClavier Mon 17-Feb-14 20:58:34

Not knowing is forgivable. There's very little reliable information out there. Not understanding how much this means to you is part of the not knowing. If after you provide all the information they still don't care then I'd be concerned.

Victoria2002 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:17:58

Hmmm...it might be worth a conversation just to gently talk them through their responsibilities giving examples from paid holidays to joint decisions about booking holidays to things like kitty money and have they considered maternity leave or long term sick leave etc? If you don't you'll be constantly correct their behaviours and they may feel critiqued at best or have nasty financial surprises at worst! Try not to scare them, but it look like they are starting from zero knowledge and you'll have to prepare them. I had bosses like this in the past and had to "train" them in everything from paid holidays to asking for a hand towel so I didn't have to dry my hands in dad boss's bath towel, to "please don't drink directly from the milk bottle" to dealing with kitty money etc etc They were particularly self-absorbed people though! Plus side is you can maybe make your own rules to suit you best though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now