Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair was supposed to arrive yesterday, no show. couldn't get on flight because she was sick.

(17 Posts)
Plumviolet Sun 16-Feb-14 16:17:05

Help. Don't really know what to do.

We found a lovely Spanish girl through au pair world. We had two skype interviews, talked to a previous employer and she seemed quiet but we were happy that she checked out, and all was good to go. She booked flights and sent us the details.

We have spent the last couple of weeks getting her room ready. We really have to rely on her because I work part time three days a week.

Got a text on the morning of the flight saying she couldn't get in the flight as she felt sick and she'll let us know when she feels better.

We're obviously hoping she's ok but disappointed at the same time. Is this something to be worried about? She's our first au pair so I have no idea what to expect. Although we have ticked all the boxes we don't know this girl and i really don't want to be taken for a ride.

What would you do?

nkf Sun 16-Feb-14 16:19:00

It's hard to say. How ill and does she expect to be better soon? If it was chronic d&V and she will be well enough to travel in 48 hours - that's one thing. Can Au Pair world follow up? Are they an agency?

middleeasternpromise Sun 16-Feb-14 16:22:37

Did she actually book and pay for the flights? Has she made attempts to change flight or has she lost her money? How long can you give her - you might need to re-open your position just in case but tell her that's what you are doing.

Plumviolet Sun 16-Feb-14 16:30:37

She booked and paid for her flights herself. I have no idea what is wrong with her she said it could be a virus.

She said she should be ok for starting next week. It has taken us weeks to find her and we really need to rely on her!

It's not normal is it?

Plumviolet Sun 16-Feb-14 16:32:10

Au pair world is more of a online dating site. No monitoring really.

nkf Sun 16-Feb-14 16:38:20

It's not usual in my experience, but it could just be unlucky. In my experience, au pairs are very young and don't realise that you need them in order to work.

Plumviolet Sun 16-Feb-14 16:42:30

The things is she's not that young. She's 23 and she's been an au pair before. Should I start the process of looking all over again?
What a nightmare. It's enough to put you off the whole thing!!

PrincessTeacake Sun 16-Feb-14 18:13:56

Emergencies happen, I had to miss work twice thanks to D+V and a pulmonary embolism respectively, and if she booked the flight herself and has to reap the money loss she's less likely to have shirked it. What did her old employer have to say about her?

LadyHarrietdeSpook Sun 16-Feb-14 18:20:28

This could happen. Did you get any sense of urgency from her text? Apologetic?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 16-Feb-14 18:25:07

She could genuinely be ill. She won't get the money back from her flights so it's more unlikely that she is deliberately being awkward. She's just lost money after all.

JeanSeberg Sun 16-Feb-14 18:25:33

I'd ask her to let you know when it's convenient to phone her, Skype even better. You'll find out a lot more from that (and even if she agrees to it) than from texts.

Hope you get sorted.

GoodnessKnows Tue 18-Feb-14 10:48:02

I think she's provably let you down. Did she contact you or did you contact her re. 'no-show'?
Sounds like she's backed out with little/ no (and cowardly) consideration for your circumstances.
I'd start looking for an alternative.

NomDeClavier Tue 18-Feb-14 11:06:51

I would start looking in case but stay in touch with her. If you are considerate now and she does show up then she will feel respected and happy with the way you treat her which counts for a lot.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 19-Feb-14 07:16:15

What is it you suspect? That she was well enough to get on the plane but couldn't be bothered and lost the money?

GoodnessKnows Wed 19-Feb-14 21:12:03

Has she contacted you?

Plumviolet Fri 21-Feb-14 18:41:03

She's here! She arrived yesterday and she is great so far! The girls reall like her already. Bit if a blip at the beginning but it seems ok now, phew! Thank goodness!!!

GoodnessKnows Fri 21-Feb-14 22:05:29

Oh thank goodness for that! Phew. Glad she seems to be settling in well. She must've felt awful not to have been able to make that plane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now