Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

would you leave your 4-months old baby with a babysitter?

(12 Posts)
Chacha23 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:28:09

Hi,

I am looking for someone to look after my 4-months-old baby, for very limited and irregular hours (I am still on maternity leave, but would like to attend a few work things here and there, no more than a couple of hours every few weeks).

It seems that nurseries and childminders are not really a good fit for this, so I was wondering, what are my choices? Is dd way too young to be left with a babysitter? (I live in a university town, so I'm sure I could find a fairly serious student to babysit, but even then I'm not sure...)

Both Dh and I are foreigners, so absolutely no family around, and we don't have any friends with babies I could arrange a few baby-watching swaps with.

Wwyd?

clearsommespace Fri 14-Feb-14 12:31:14

I don't think the age of your DD is a problem if you're sure about the sitter. I did this for DD at a similar age but the sitter was from a family my colleage knew.

steppemum Fri 14-Feb-14 12:35:52

I left ds with a babysitter a couple of times at this age. It was for about 2 hours each time, because of a function we were invited to. The babysitter was an older lady we knew well, very grandmotherly. She didn't have to 'do' anything, as baby was fed and changed before we went.

It was fine. But I really trusted her. And our baby was very laid back.

Get a recommendation from someone eg work

BackforGood Fri 14-Feb-14 12:36:46

Of course.

Bowlersarm Fri 14-Feb-14 12:37:59

Yes. Younger with ds3.

apotomak Fri 14-Feb-14 12:40:52

Tbh I would not leave such young baby with a student who probably hasn't got her/his own children or is very experienced with looking after babies. I would look within a circle of your own friends first. Maybe ask a mum you know well from a toddler/baby group as it's only a couple of hours here and there.
You can also ring round childminers. I would be happy to take a baby for a few hours if I had a space (however I wouldn't be able to guarantee having a space but if you rang up and I had one I would take a baby for a few hours).
You could also use agencies such as sitters.co.uk for example. All their sitters are experienced nannies, maternity nurses, midwives, teachers, childminders etc.

Chacha23 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:41:13

thanks everyone, that's reassuring.

I may be overly cautious, but I'm new at this and don't want to mess it up!!!

good idea about asking someone at work for a recommendation.

Chacha23 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:45:16

apotomak thank you for your message, that's very helpful! will definitely check out sitters.co.uk, sounds much more reassuring than some random student

Rooble Fri 14-Feb-14 12:49:37

I found a nanny through a nannying agency - wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving him with someone with no baby experience.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 14-Feb-14 12:53:04

Completely fine to leave him, but not with an inexperienced/unqualified babysitter. Go for a nanny/nursery nurse/childminder, ask around or use an agency.

Chacha23 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:51:19

thanks everyone thanks

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Wed 19-Feb-14 15:58:08

Nothing wrong with leaving baby at that age maybe search for a nanny on mat leave or who has own baby and works part time if you were happy for her to bring own bab. I know I would do this kind of thing on my day off if allowed to take my own toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now