Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childcare.co.uk BEWARE!!!!!

(44 Posts)
dumbledoreiamnot Wed 12-Feb-14 12:57:27

BEWARE!!! of their draconian "repeat" fees:
2.7 If you choose to become a gold member, your membership will either be for a one-month period, three-month, six-month or a twelve-month period (as you select during the gold membership application process). Your gold membership will automatically renew for successive periods of the same duration (that is, for a further month, three months, six months or twelve months, as applicable) unless and until either party gives to the other not less than 7 days notice prior to the next renewal date that it does not wish to continue the gold membership. We reserve the right to terminate your membership earlier in accordance with the provisions of clause 13 below.
I had very little service from them, and NONE from them for most of last year, they send email up dates to you of people who have viewed your profile. When I complained after spotting the repeat fees coming out of my bank statement (no I don't check it as often and regularly as I should!) As soon as i contacted the site a FLOOD of updates came through - which would have acted as a reminder that i didn't need the service anymore ..
beware .. of their tactics!

nannynick Wed 12-Feb-14 13:03:42

When searching, profiles are often listed by Last Login date as default. Thus why you got more profile views I would guess.

As with all websites, read the terms and conditions or at least ALL of the payment page, so you know what you are signing up for. Many sites these day do reoccurring payments.

dumbledoreiamnot Wed 12-Feb-14 13:07:48

THIS ISNT AN ADVERT!!!!! this is a warning about a childcare site!

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 12-Feb-14 13:54:44

Did you read the terms and conditions?

NickNacks Wed 12-Feb-14 13:58:35

You're just highlighting your own dimness tbh.

EasterHoliday Wed 12-Feb-14 13:59:50

it's not tactics, it's "terms of business", which you sign up to quite clearly. When I've used it, I've set it up then immediately gone to my bank to cancel, effective one month later.

BIWI Wed 12-Feb-14 14:00:14

I'm not really sure what you're so cross about. You signed up to a service and you gave your consent for them to take money as per the terms and conditions.

LIZS Wed 12-Feb-14 14:03:22

a lot of things auto renew unless you cancel with due notice - insurance, Amazon Prime ....

playftseforme Wed 12-Feb-14 14:03:30

Almost everything, including my car and home insurance and magazine subscriptions, will automatically renew unless I give explicit notice of cancellation within the right time frame. This is normal!

LingDiLong Wed 12-Feb-14 14:06:33

Sorry, I'm with Nicknacks, their terms are the same as the vast majority of companies the do these kinds of direct debits.

leeloo1 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:11:58

Aw, everyone is being a bit harsh! I had the same issue with the website a couple of years ago when I got charged for a 2nd year by mistake. I contacted them and they v sweetly refunded the fee.

playftseforme Wed 12-Feb-14 14:15:27

leeloo1 lots of people lose track of time and miss the renewal dates, and it was great that you were refunded in your case. But the OP is making out that she was deliberately conned...

dumbledoreiamnot Wed 12-Feb-14 14:18:29

well thank you everyone for your feedback .. you are all obviously far more savvy about these sites then me! Or are you ALL childcare provider site owners?!?!

HyvaPaiva Wed 12-Feb-14 14:21:21

hmm

dumbledoreiamnot Wed 12-Feb-14 14:21:26

I do feel I was conned, and the reason for that was that I hadn't had any alerts for months. The moment i alerted them and cancelled the service, i got flooded with alerts. Had I had that amount of email alerts - it would have reminded me that I had carried on a service that I should have cancelled.

nbee84 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:27:42

When you don't log into the site your profile that you set up drops further and further down the list. Most people will only look at first few pages. When you logged in to contact the site to cancel the membership it will have bumped your profile to the first page - hence why you have had people viewing your profile and the site sending you alerts.

nbee84 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:31:08

And if people weren't searching by last log in date and were searching by location closest to them your profile page (without being clicked on) will show your last log in date and if it was some time ago people will presume you are no longer looking for childcare and not bother clicking on you.

dumbledoreiamnot Wed 12-Feb-14 14:33:40

Interesting how FEW of the people who barraged this thread on this specific topic, on different time zones, don't have a profile ..

Are you ALL on the payroll of child care provider sites ..

Unless you prove you are real mums, I am sorry I refuse to be bullied by you all for being "an idiot" about this issue.

dumbledoreiamnot Wed 12-Feb-14 14:35:02

thanks nbee84 - this doesn't apply to you!

LingDiLong Wed 12-Feb-14 14:45:24

Oh dear, think I'm going to back away slowly from the crazy lady now!!

NickNacks Wed 12-Feb-14 14:46:38

Erm you don't have an open profile either.

NickNacks Wed 12-Feb-14 14:47:21

Haha I noticed you just made it public in the last few minutes!!

Moron

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 12-Feb-14 15:32:56

many people complain about this site BUT it does state CLEARLY in t&c what happens

and more fool you for not checking your bank statement, blondes is like a hawk on her bank and credit cards statements grin

ForgettableTampon Wed 12-Feb-14 15:41:15

Ok

OP you haven't been conned, you really haven't. I know it's annoying to miss stuff but y'know, live and learn. Every day's a school day 'n' all that.

Has anyone noticed that whenever someone bitches and whines and WARNS US ALL OFF THE EVIL WEBSITE, it's because they didn't bother to check the T&Cs or a bank statement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now