Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Best way to find a babysitter?

(18 Posts)
ProtegeMoi Sat 18-Jan-14 23:02:00

I've never really needed a babysitter before (mostly because my social life has been crap) but have had a few occasions where I've had to decline invites due to lack of a sitter. My mother in law is the only person willing and able to babysit for me but she has a busy life herself with other grandchildren and so isn't always available.

Hence I need a sitter. I'm really stuck as to how to go about finding one. I've exhausted family and friends and none are able to, plus it usually is family events when I need one.

So how do people generally find sitters? I looked at online sites but I don't want to have a range of people caring for my kids, just one regular sitter that they can get to know.

Any ideas?

ProtegeMoi Sat 18-Jan-14 23:03:40

Should have added. One of the biggest problems I've come across is the fact my children have a large age gap, so I have an 11 year old and a 1 year old. People who have been happy to have the eldest have not felt comfortable with the little one and when I asked at the local nursery a girl agreed to watch the baby but said she didn't feel experienced enough to watch my eldest as well.

BackforGood Sat 18-Jan-14 23:14:44

Talk to people - friends, neighbours, colleagues. Between them they will either have teen/adult children willing to do it, or will use a babysitter themselves who they will recommend to you. You just need to put the word out that you are looking.

Starballbunny Sat 18-Jan-14 23:23:21

By 11 I'd almost have been happy to leave DD2 with a 1y, she was totally happy to be left by herself.

Therefore, I'd have reassured the nursery girl she didn't really have to baby sit your older DD.

trickydickie Sun 19-Jan-14 00:17:35

I am a newly registered childminder and struggling for business at the minute.

Someone has put a note on netmums that they live in my local area and looking for a babysitter on an adhoc basis usually evenings weekends.

I've replied and going to meet the family tomorrow. I will take my references, pvg (think crb in England) and my reg certificate. Will show my training certificates etc.

I am only charging £5 an hour as need the business and actually will earn more than I do per hour from childminding at the moment.

The point of my post is to advise you to try putting a note up on netmums. You maybe lucky and get nannies or childminders who apply. Nothing wrong with anyone else who replies to you. Just easier to check credentials etc. if it is a registered child care worker who replies to your post.

Good luck.

TeamSouthfields Sun 19-Jan-14 00:34:21

where abouts are you based?

AgentFF Sun 19-Jan-14 08:45:35

I found a babysitter by advertising on nannyjob. I was looking for a nanny and interviewed a few people. One of the ones who wasn't really suitable because of the hours she was able to work is great for babysitting. If you are able to advertising might be a good option particularly if you are concerned that you want to find someone who is happy with the ages of your children. It might be a bit more hassle to interview and check references and probably depends where you live how many responses you might get but in my experience it was a good way to find a good flexible babysitter.

AgentFF Sun 19-Jan-14 08:46:28

Also if you know any childminders or nannies of friends they might be keen for extra work from time to time so perhaps worth a try too.

cookielove Sun 19-Jan-14 08:52:14

Hello, if you are in Herts I know several baby sitters available as well as myself.

Also suggest net mums local pages.

Mikkii Sun 19-Jan-14 09:04:19

I used to have a nanny, when I am stuck for a babysitter, I ask my ex nanny and she will come up with someone. They are usually trained so all ok, I trust her to recommend someone.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 19-Jan-14 09:37:58

You need someone with exp of babies as your 11yr doesn't need babysitting as such but just someone to look after them

Most nanny agencies have a babysitter register and charge a 3/6/9/12mth fee and will guarantee you a bs tho may not be the same one

Be good to have 2/3 to chose from esp if one can't do a certain date

You can also look on netmums as someone said. In my area there are always nannies or cm advertising to bs

What area are you?

Always check their refs and make sure they have a DBS first aid and insurance

lovelynannytobe Sun 19-Jan-14 11:28:43

I would email local childminders asking if they offer babysitting service. Many do. Be prepared to pay at least NMW. I charge £7/h but know sitters 2 miles away who charge £10 and are not short of business.

ProtegeMoi Sun 19-Jan-14 14:04:03

Some great ideas thanks!

I'm in west Cheshire, its a small area and the majority of people I've spoke to, friends etc. use family babysitters. Going to try some of the suggestions and see how I get on.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Sun 19-Jan-14 14:15:45

We were in the same position as you (all our family live over 200miles away). I did try asking locally but could not find one. In the end we signed up to the Sitters agency. We had several baby sitters through them and they were all great. We especially liked one called Susan, so always requested her when making a booking. If we booked far enough in advance we always got her, if it was a last minute booking we sometimes got someone else. It was expensive but was a life saver at the time.

PsychicPaper Mon 20-Jan-14 15:09:38

I have the opposite problem.

I am desperate to find some ad hoc babysitting work, but cant find it anywhere. i am a brownie leader, but not sure if it is OK to ask the Brownies parents if they need me.

All local agencies require childcare qualifications, which i don't have.

As a general question would you hire a babysitter with no childcare qualifications, but brownie leader, with CRB, first aid etc?

ProtegeMoi Mon 20-Jan-14 20:16:54

I would yes, I don't think childcare qualifications are everything, either all you don't have them to become a parent! First aid and CRB would be much more important to me!

EmmaEdwards29 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:04:48

Hi I am a babysitter in Chester, do you mind me asking where in West Cheshire you are?

philippamain Fri 05-Feb-16 20:02:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now