Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how do I register as a childminder, what do I need to consider?

(10 Posts)
nearlymumofone Sun 06-Oct-13 12:39:29

I posted recently saying that a nannying job had kind of 'fallen into my lap' (I have 2dcs of my own). The client would like me to become a childminder and do the job for her in my house instead of hers (totally understand why she'd prefer this). So I am now considering doing this. As I have her lined up and don't want to lose her (I think we'd work well together) I need to get moving on registering as a childminder.

I had been considering doing this on and off for the past couple of years but hadn't actually acted on it, so now I think is the time!

From what I understand I need to complete a childminding course run by my local council and a paedeatric first aid course and I will need to get liability insurance. Is there anything else I need to consider? Also with the courses I have emailed PACEY (is that government run?) and my local council and am awaiting responses. Is there any other body I should contact. I am a police officer- I assume I still require a CRB check.

nearlymumofone Sun 06-Oct-13 12:59:48

... and how long does the process actually take to become a childminder? I know client ideally wants me to start next month- is this entirely unrealistic?

Runoutofideas Sun 06-Oct-13 13:04:30

I'm afraid that is unrealistic. You will need to complete your CYPOP5 course. I did mine online through NCMA (now PACEY) but you need to make sure that that is acceptable to your local authority. It is generally quicker as you can do it at your own pace rather than wait for evening classes. You need to fill in all of the Ofsted forms and get DBS (new CRBs) for anyone over 16 living in your house.

I was in a similar position to you last year. I decided to childmind in Feb 12. Took on my first family in March 12 and was fully registered by end April 12. Now though you need to complete CYPOP5 first, whereas I had a 3 month overlap and finished the course in May/June. I didn't care for the children illegally in the meantime. I was their nanny so only had the children in my house for up to the maximum of 2 hours per day and was generally based out of the children's house. Location swapped over as soon as the registration came through. Maybe this is something you could do in the meantime?

insancerre Sun 06-Oct-13 13:05:09

info here
ofsted rules say you have to have a first aid certificate and have completed a childminding course before you apply

nearlymumofone Sun 06-Oct-13 13:16:21

Thanks for both the replies.

runout yes that is exactly what I'm thinking of proposing. I do think it would be easier for everyone in my house but until then could do it in her house. Is it a total of 2 hours we can be in my house per day or is it 2 hours at a time throughout the day (we live a stones throw from each other).

Other than insurance is that the only cost once you are registered?

busyDays Sun 06-Oct-13 14:15:57

There are a lot more costs than just the insurance. You will need to pay an annual Ofsted fee and you have to register with the ICO. You are also expected to continually update/improve your training and depending on your LA you may or may not have to pay for this.

There are costs involved in the paperwork too. You can make a lot of the forms yourself but it takes a lot of time and effort. As you are in a hurry it will be easiest to buy the basics. Have a look on the Pacey website.

You may need to buy toys/resources/health and safety stuff to meet all of the Ofsted requirements. Childminders also normally pay for activities and outings and many provide meals. By looking after the children form your house instead of theirs a lot of the day to day expenses will shift from them to you.

HSMMaCM Sun 06-Oct-13 14:21:26

Food hygiene training and registering with environmental health.

No paid holiday or sickness. (Unless you put that in your contract)

Register as self employed with hmrc and set up NI payments.

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 06-Oct-13 15:03:47

CM's don't have to pay for outings and activities, the cost can be passed onto parents. Your business your rules.
There is no way I can afford to pay for outings when I take just £7 per hour in school hours.

Runoutofideas Sun 06-Oct-13 21:29:43

It is a total of 2 hours per day. I used to look after the 2 year old from the children's house in the daytime, then go to school from her house to pick up her 2 older siblings plus my 2. We'd go to a park or café or somewhere before returning to my house at 4.30pm for tea/play etc as the children were then picked up from there at 6.30pm. They had then only been in my house for 2 hours.

There was talk of upping the 2 hours to 3 hours, which would help you in the meantime, but you'd need to research if that was in fact ever agreed and if so, when it comes into practice.

Additional costs for me included extra highchairs and car seats, a couple of equal opportunities toys and the registration with Ofsted and ICO as mentioned above. Registering as a food business didn't cost anything. The increase on my car insurance was £2.50!

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 07-Oct-13 07:03:40

You have to have a health form filled in by your Dr. As part of the Ofsted application. This costs mine was only £15 but some people on my course had to pay £95 for their Dr. To complete it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now