This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would a childminder do this?

(15 Posts)
MonstersDontCry Tue 10-Sep-13 15:44:25

Would a childminder take on a 2 year old for 4/5 hours once a week? Or it just not worth it for them?

AnneUulmelmahay Tue 10-Sep-13 15:58:09

Yes it might fill a slot

Might Not be easy for a child though, I would want to do loads of settling in beforehand, spaces permitting.

Do ask, you never know. Also ime, these little time slots can expand, worth a puntfrom a CM perspective smile

MonstersDontCry Tue 10-Sep-13 16:23:45

That's what I thought. smile

What happens during settling in? Do I need to stay with DD? Or just leave her? I don't really understand the settling in thing as DD is my eldest so obviously haven't had to do this before.

AnneUulmelmahay Tue 10-Sep-13 16:35:58

Settling in is kinda flexible. Goes along the lines of: go there for coffee, stay, a couple of times. Drop off next time, an hr or so. You go have nice coffee in posho cafe. Treat self to glossy mag to distract. Next a longer stay, incl. snacktime/lunch, you go get a facial/haircut. A fewlonger stays like this then bam! The child starts formally.

I can do this, I work well under numbers, deliberately so, not all CMs could do a long lead-in, but the outcome would still be a settled child, making bonds with CM and other children there.

Sorry for long winded post [wabbles on interminably]

AnneUulmelmahay Tue 10-Sep-13 16:38:05

I suggest haircut/facial whatev to distract the parent, get them to have me-time, not cos I think they look rough!

AnneUulmelmahay Tue 10-Sep-13 16:38:35

See, told you I wabble on haha!

HSMMaCM Tue 10-Sep-13 16:48:28

Anne. I suggest hair cuts etc too. Parents must think I'm really rude smile

AnneUulmelmahay Tue 10-Sep-13 16:49:48

Ha what are we like eh! Lovely really smile

MonstersDontCry Tue 10-Sep-13 17:36:43

Thanks for explaining that for me. I'd love a haircut, but no one to look after the newborn!

Sorry I've got another question. blush

Do you charge an hourly rate? Would 4 hours really be worth it for you?

Monroe Wed 11-Sep-13 12:40:09

I am in the process of taking on a new mindee for 5.5 hours one day a week. It was just lucky that she neededssomeone on a Thursday only and this was the only slot I had available. I am charging an hourly rate but I know some may charge a full day. It just depends on what the childminder has available and how she charges her fees

BrightSunshineyDay Wed 11-Sep-13 12:46:23

My DS goes to a CM once a week for 4 hours. Fits in with her - fits in with me. I am charged hourly. DS loves going - tho it did take a few weeks for him to settle in. He is 3 btw.

Saltire Thu 12-Sep-13 09:32:40

I would do this, but then thats how I operate. I offer part time/"pay as you go" type childminding and charge those parents an hourly rate for the hours they use. TBH I moslty do before and after school kids

fivesacrowd Thu 12-Sep-13 18:14:22

I'd do it too, might need a lot of settling in but depends on child tbh, some settle really quickly, some take a while. I charge an hourly rate but then I'm kind of rubbish at the whole paying retainers, holiday pay etc side of things.
I've sent parents off for some pamper time too - never occurred to me they'd think it was cos I thought they looked rough blush

looneytune Sun 15-Sep-13 15:06:03

I'd do it too. I'm currently on maternity leave and unsure what I'm doing after but if I could earn a bit of money doing bits like this then I'd be tempted. So I'd say ring round as some will and some won't, depends on what suits the childminder. Totally agree about the settling in though, for the child's sake this is really important as a child going for a few hours is going to take longer to settle than someone going a few times a week. Good luck smile

ChildrenAtHeart Mon 16-Sep-13 23:42:48

Me too. I have a minimum session of 4 hours but have often had an odd morning or afternoon spare that a child like this slots into. Settling in can be tricky but its definitely do-able

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now