Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Child care element tax credits + 15hours funding Help!!

(11 Posts)
russetbella1000 Mon 19-Aug-13 22:51:43

I work Mon-Wed & currently receive tax credits which work out to almost cover all of my childcare costs with a CM.
When my DD turns 3 i would ideally like to carry this arrangement on and use the 15 hours on say Thurs/Fri (even if its only 2mornings)

Does anybody know how this works. I definitely do not want to jeopardise the Mon-wed arrangement. Do I even do this through the tax credit form since funding comes from local council.

Ultimately I'd rather not change anything but it does seem like I could get an extra day or two where gov will cover some preschool etc.

If anyone can help I d be grateful!

LazyMonkeyButler Mon 19-Aug-13 22:55:47

Tax credits will still cover your childcare costs. It is just that with 15 hours free, your child care costs will be less.

So, tax credits will pay you a little less each month - but you, in turn will be paying less out.

LazyMonkeyButler Mon 19-Aug-13 22:57:18

I have only ever used the 15 hours free in a nursery though - and they were responsible for claiming the funding from the government themselves. I would think the same is true for a CM?

LazyMonkeyButler Mon 19-Aug-13 22:57:48

How that makes sense grin.

LazyMonkeyButler Mon 19-Aug-13 22:59:26

I mean hope, now how!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 20-Aug-13 02:46:28

Some childminders accept the funding, you just need to decide where you want her to go on the thurs/ fri and see if they accept the 15 hours funding.

It shouldn't affect your tax credits if you're just adding extra days as its free hours so you shouldn't have to pay more. Your daughter will be eligible the term after she's 3.

russetbella1000 Wed 21-Aug-13 22:58:56

Hi thank you both sorry this is late...

Yes I kind of hoped that I could leave my childminder out of having to be paid from the extra 15 hours part but I guess that will benefit me as even though I ll take maybe 6 hours (say 2x3 sessions on Thurs/Fri) I ll still be 'owed' 9 from gov....

So can I assume tax credits/gov would be happy that I use two childcare providers...?Will go on this assumption-dreading filling the form in! Though actually I suppose I can just do it as normal then call them with the change.

Ok thinking aloud now...

Thanks again

icecubed Wed 21-Aug-13 23:03:18

You can split the 15 hours but not if they go to a proper school nursery when the are rising 4 so you can for this year but may not be able to for next

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 22-Aug-13 09:58:52

You wouldn't be owed any hours if you only use 6 that's upto you, think you can spread the hours over more than the 39 term time weeks soupu coulddo it round the year but you'd need to check with the provider, there shouldn't be any change to your tax credits surely if you're only adding the funded hours.

LazyMonkeyButler Thu 22-Aug-13 16:07:27

You only need to tell tax credits about the child care you pay for.

russetbella1000 Fri 23-Aug-13 00:27:47

Thank you all :0)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now