Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare needed

(12 Posts)
anewdispensation Wed 14-Aug-13 23:49:07

Hi all, I am in a bit of dilemma. My live in help is leaving to return to her country as she recently lost her husband and so I need some Childcare ASAP.

My husband and I work full time although I work one day from home. We have 2 DCs; one is 5 and the other is 12 months old. The 5 yr old will be in year one come September. My problem is that I don't know what kind of help to look for. I definitely need someone who drives as public transport isn't great where we are. We live in Herts and 5 year old DS goes for after school activities. Nannies are very expensive from what I have seen especially as they will have the baby as well.

Please advise what to do. Is Aupair plus the way out and are there driving aupair around? Thanks

Runoutofideas Thu 15-Aug-13 08:06:05

I think sole care of a 12 month old is too much for an au pair role - they are supposed to be able to go to college and study English during the day. You need a nanny, or a childminder who picks up from your ds school if you are prepared for him to drop some activities.

BettyBottersBetterButter Thu 15-Aug-13 08:33:19

I agree full time care of a 12 month old + ferrying around to school/activities is way beyond an au pair role. Live-in nanny may well be the best option especially if you're used to having someone live-in already although cheapest option is probably after school clubs for your eldest & nursery/childminder for little one.

ReetPetit Thu 15-Aug-13 10:14:44

'live in help' hmm nice....

if you both work full time then I'm sure you can afford proper childcare for your 12 month old. Employ a nanny/look for a childminder or put your 12 month old in a nursery if you prefer but don't try and don't it on the cheap - your children should be your most treasured possession and their care and safety should come first.

anewdispensation Thu 15-Aug-13 13:03:04

Thanks everyone. Petit- no need to sound so snippy as I was just asking a genuine question. Current live in help is a relative.thanks all,will look into nannies.

holidaysarenice Thu 15-Aug-13 13:06:59

Petit, get down of your high horse.

How do you know what they earn? It could be full time in tesco or full time in a city banking firm.

Stop being a pest.

Good luck op

anewdispensation Thu 15-Aug-13 13:11:46

Thanks holidaysarenice. The nastiness surprised me because I didn't post this in AIBU and the situation is stressful for me, what with the death of my relative's husband. I want to do what us best for our family and don't want to get into a debate about working full time or whatever. Everyone else have been really helpful. Thanks again

Strix Thu 15-Aug-13 13:34:24

Reetpetit's comments are rude, unhelpful, and misguided. Hard working two income families still struggle to pay the childcare, and therefore must consider the costs.

OP, Have you thought about an au pair / childminder combination? You could perhaps find a childminder who would take the baby at the school gate when your older on is dropped off and bring the baby back when older one is picked up. That way you could hire an au pair (one who has some childcare experience) to do mornings and afternoons but be free during the school day. You can use childcare vouchers to pay for the childminder, still have in home care, and you keep the cost down low enough on the "employee" that the taxes aren't so crippling.

We have done this since DS2 was little (DS1 and DD were in school full time). DS2 is 2 1/2 now.

anewdispensation Thu 15-Aug-13 17:56:13

Thanks Strix. I actually thought of a combination of Aupair and MIL who has offered to look after the baby while I am at work so the Aupair won't be responsible for the baby. Just DS1. Thanks for the brilliant suggestion. Hoping it works out well.

Callaird Thu 15-Aug-13 18:36:16

Strix Your youngest is 2 and a half?! How? When? It only seems like yesterday you were expecting him?

Sorry for the hijack!

Memeglass Mon 19-Aug-13 14:45:43

I'm a childminder and I live in the Hitchin area
I do flexi hours which means u can pick a choose what hours you need and only pay for the hours you use
If you would like more info please contact me on

Strix Mon 19-Aug-13 14:55:20

Yeah, time flies when you are getting old having fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now