Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

2 yr Funding - Whats involved for a Childminder ??

(4 Posts)
mindingsaproperjob Tue 13-Aug-13 15:50:01

Been asked today do I accept Children who are entitled to the above. Any Minders out there give m a quick run down of whats involved in accepting the funded children. Thanks

NarkyNamechanger Tue 13-Aug-13 16:34:41

Nothing extra apart from validating the funding form from the parent to the borough.

NarkyNamechanger Tue 13-Aug-13 16:35:25

Btw, that's presuming you're approved by your LA to accept it? I assumed you are.

RegularVoltaire Mon 19-Aug-13 23:37:53

In my LA you need to become registered to accept funded children, this is for both 2's and 3/4 year olds. The first thing to do would be to ring your Development Officer/Funding Officer.

All Providers in my LA need to be Good or better (Ofsted) although they will accept Satisfactory if there is a lack of places in Good or better settings.

In our area, an Officer from the funding team then visits the CM to complete some bits of paperwork (Annual Contract/authorised signatory etc) and you must provide proof that you have £10 million public insurance plus £10 million employers insurance if you have anyone working for you. Some authorities only set this at £5 million, but ours is £10 so worth checking.

Once you are registered, parents can access funding with you in exactly the same way as they would at a nursery (fill in a parent/carer contract, provide proof of date of birth etc).

You need to work out what your hourly rate is and reduce the fees accordingly. Children are entitled to 15 hours of free entitlement - not a set monetary amount.
For example, a childminder who has their full daily rate as £35 for a 10 hour day, would reduce fees by £3.50 x 15 ...a childminder who has their full daily rate as £30 for a 10 hour day would reduce fees by £3.00 x 15. Some providers choose to pay the full amount that they receive back to the parents - this is fine too. Any excess funding (which often is non-existent, to be fair) must be fed back into the funded places and can be used for helping towards wages/materials/increased insurance premiums etc. Some authorities will do a financial audit to ensure that any surplus money is fed back into the funded places.

Give the LA a ring and have a chat. They'll help you get the ball rolling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now